Go Bottom

Tractor comparison

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-10          14643

I am planning on a tractor purchase mid-summer. I have my choices down to the JD4100 or the BX2200 (choices due to dealer location). I would like any comments comparing these two machines. I already know that the BX front loader has much less capacity, as does the three point hitch. I will be mowing about 3.5 acres and bagging grass for mulch (plan on a mid-mower), maintain about 25 yards of gravel drive, and will do some light loader work (drive gravel, and putting topsoil in gardining areas. I am 55 years old and do not want to ever purchase another tractor for yard use.I would appreciate any advice from experienced compact tractor users.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor comparison

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2000-04-10          14644

Sorry, made a mistake in my initial message. I will be maintaining 250 yards of drive. ....

Tractor comparison

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-10          14654

Joe; You should get the larger tractor "4100" Kubota is also a good brand you should look at the B series. I'm a JD fan myself also I think one should a little larger than you think you will need.

David ....

Tractor comparison

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-04-11          14689

Joe,
My vote is for the 4100. Not only because we bought one, but because I think you will quickly outgrow the abilites of the BX. We only have 2 acres in yard, yet I wouldn't want anything smaller/lighter. My thoughts were further solidified by the ability to borrow and handle a neighbors 6' rake and blade. Granted, the 6' blade made the 4100 work, but the tractor could handle it with a little extra user patience. Not sure how the lighter BX would do in this situation, even though its about equal in HP. Just to give you an idea of what our 4100 is tackling at the moment. We are currently spreading our second tri-axle load of mulch with the loader. In between moving & leveling another 2 tri-axle loads of screened top-soil on the yard. Just after filling 6 utility trailer's worth of dead sod and stones. Needless to say, "This tractor has paid for itself already. And those are words from my wife!! This winter it moved mounds and mounds of 4' deep snow drifts without chains, sometimes twice a day when it was windy. The capabiliy of the belly mower is equally on par in terms of mowing speed, and cutting through deep thick grass. I still crack a smile when I install/remove the mower or loader, because its just so damn easy and well laid out. Which is one of the reasons I chose JD. BUT..don't get me wrong, I also think the Kubota 'B'lineup is an EXCELLENT choice and would not hesitate buying one. Although I'd probably look at the 2710. Sounds like an impressive and capable piece of machinery, yet its still compact in size for what our yard would support. Good luck, let us know how you make out. :) ....

Tractor comparison

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-04-17          14858

Joe, I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples. The JD4100 stacks up against the Kubota B1700/2100/2400 (or the latest upgrades to these models) but specifically to the B2100. Either the JD4100 or the B2100/B2400 are great machines and I think you will be happy with either one. The ergonomics are slightly different on the different machines. You just have to try them both and see which one you prefer. The front end loader on this seies of Kubota tractors is every bit as easy to mount and dismount as the Deere. It takes about 2 minutes - no more. When I was in this position last year, I went with the B2400 because of availability and I liked the dealer a lot more (The JD dealer has since sold out and the new guy is pretty good) I chose the B2400 over the B2100 because it was an extra 3hp for a few dollars more. If I were looking today, I might choose the 4100 but I love my little Kubota and have no intention of getting rid of it. Since you are looking for a one time purchase, you can't really go wrong with either one and your children and grandchildren will thank you. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login