Go Bottom

Hydrostatic Draw Bar HP

View my Photos
Ernie Quintal
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-14          14792

I have narrowed my choices down to three tractors. JD4300, Kub L3010, and Boomer TC29. In addition to the usual mowing, loader work and snow removal I want to be able to culivate about two acres of land with a 3pt cultivator (6 to 8 ft wide with maybe six inch shovels). I have heard that Hydrostatic transmissions suck when it come to pulling (draw bar HP). I noticed the pto Hp on a gear vs hst tractor is about 1 HP more on these models. How much does the draw bar HP drop on a hst tranny tractor? Should I be looking at getting a gear version tractor, or will these do the job even with hst? Thanks for your help ahead of time!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hydrostatic Draw Bar HP

View my Photos
Robert Weiler

2000-04-14          14803

On the surface it may seem that gear is more powerful than HST, but when my TC25D FWD is in FWD it's hard to stop. I love the HST! When mowing or loader work it's so quick and easy to change direction, and if I want to travel at the same speed as with gear, just hit the cruise control. My 2 cents; Go Blue HST!
Robert

P.S. Horsepower is only a reference. 1 or 4 HP really doesn't make a big difference. The FWD does make a big difference. It's like double your power. ....

Hydrostatic Draw Bar HP

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-04-15          14805

Ernie, I agree with Robert; just go with HST and 4WD. He says it's like "double the power" and sometimes it seems that way. A neighbor with big tractors says it's actually 15% to 25% more pulling power with 4WD. Of course the difference is in the traction, not actual power. Robert says to go with Blue; I prefer Orange, but they're all good tractors. I have a B2710 and my cousin has a TC29 and I don't guess either of us would trade with the other. ....

Hydrostatic Draw Bar HP

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-16          14845

Personally, I prefer gear transmissions. But I agree with both guys above that you will never notice a couple of horsepower one way or the other. Don't make your decision on a horspower basis. And for sure get 4wd.... particularly if you are going to do some hard pulling. It does make a difference. ....

Hydrostatic Draw Bar HP

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-04-17          14853

Ernie,
Sounds like the guys who told you "Hydro's suck for pulling" don't have much experience on em, or they don't understand how a hydro works. When you understand how each transmission works and what each needs to function properly, you will have no problems. Just like a automatic in your car/truck. RPM's are needed to provide sufficient fluid coupling. Can't expect this to happen at idle. Took me a while to stop treating my hydro like a gear. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login