Go Bottom

Can I afford the right used tractor

View my Photos
Steve Thomas
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-24          15066

My wife and I purchased a home on 3.25 acres last year. The front acre or so is very manageable with my John Deere 116. I can't say the same for the rest of the land. It's very level, but it has a good deal of growth on it, and the previous owners had someone come in a couple of years ago with a dozer and push trees (and all the topsoil) into a huge pile near the back of the property. The part I can actually walk is grown up with small to medium sized Mimosas.I want to start looking at used utility tractors, but I can't afford to spend a great deal on one. I *think* that what I want is a 40-50 hp tractor with a bush hog, a front blade, and a plow (knock it down, plow it under, and then keep it cut).Is this size tractor going to be big enough, or do I need more power?I know for my price range, I'm going to be looking at older tractors, but I understand that a good one will run forever if it's well maintained.Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-24          15073

Here in the midwest you can buy old 100-130 hp tractors for about the same price as old 40-50 hp tractors. Do you want something that big? A 40-50hp tractor will probably do what you want it to do. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-25          15090

Get a Dozer for hire for a day and you no longer need a monster machine. Then you can buy a Deere 4000 series or Kubota B series or similiar and get alot of long term use out of the machine instead of having a big monster that is unweildly on your three acres.

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-04-25          15095

Steve, I think the webmaster's suggestion is the best thing you could do. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-25          15113

I'll second (or third) that suggestion. Get someone with the right big machines to do the initual cleanup and reshaping. He can do in a day what would take you just about forever. You can use the time and money saved to look for a nice 20 to 30 Hp compact or vintage old American farm tractor and enjoy maintaining it. Don't worry; there will be plenty of work left to do. Yes, tractors do last just about forever. Parts are available for just about everything that was ever made, and repairs are easy. Old tractors don't so much break down as they just begin to work less and less well until you finally get around to fixing them. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login