Go Bottom

Trading John Deere 4100 on JD 2520

View my Photos
nmcjd4100
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-28          152506

hi i have been an owner of a jd4100 for 8 yrs i am intersted in tradeing for a new jd 2520 has anyone purchased one of these tractors and liked it i have seen reviews on the prices but no comments on how well they like the tractor and if they like the power of it. only think i have done is gone to dealer and sat on it lol sits better then mine does lol . i realy like the one i got now i do a lot of work with it and its good size i should have a bigger one but i have a lot of tight areas to get into and i think with the 2520 its longer and a couple inches wider and taller so i think it would be a good trade . besides i have a lot of attatchments for mine now that i can just use on that one .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-28          152508

Maybe the dealer will let you try it out, on site. ....

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-28          152519

NM....I just bought the 2520 last august from local dealer hear. He let me use it full week. It has plenty of power without going to the next size up 3000 series which is 1000 lbs more in weight. The turning radius on this thing is awsome. It has picked up everything i ever put into the bucket..I did get the imatch hitch and love that thing. The dealer let me use his machine with a no questions return policy. Great guy. If he will let you test the machine that would be great. Best of luck ....

View my Photos
nmcjd4100

2008-03-30          152573

hi again yes my dealer will let me try any one of them out he has a used one on the lot right now with about 167 hrs on it with a front end loader and belly mower . i don't know what he would want for that one . i know what he give me for mine towards a trade in for a new one. i am sure excited about geting out and geting in the garden wit the tiler . i use my tractor a lot . ....

View my Photos
bz1bz1

2008-07-11          155230

I just stepped up from my 10 year old 4100 to a 2520. While the 2520 is only 30% more HP it is about 50% more machine. It handles every rear implement I own better both in terms of handling the weight and speeding up my jobs. While only a couple hundered pounds heavier I think most of that must be up front because it handles weight on the rear much better without having to add weights. Each year I rototill a one acre garden. While the 2520 uses 30% more fuel than my 4100 it finished the job in less than half the time. The rear tires are so much wider that the traction is way more than the 4100. I do not have a loader so can't comment on how that performs. The only warning I would give everyone is that there are some problems with tire inteference and the 3 point hitch - read the topic on this forum that talks about a 3 point hitch problem. I have also heard about interference problems with the front tires and the back hoe mounts. I don't have a hoe yet so can't verify that one. The tire interference problem was a show stopper for me in that I use this machine with a back blade to grade my driveway and plow snow. The JD back blade does not fit between my tires. I also need to use chains in the winter which were impossible to fit. After a lot of fighting I got JD to replace the draft arms on my machine. They have a fix for this problem. Also note that the new 2720 comes with draft arms identical to the new ones JD gave me to avoid that same problem on the 2720. Last but not least, sell your 4100 yourself. I put it on Craig's list and sold it in 3 weeks for several thousand more than trade in value. Hope this info helps. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-07-12          155237

Bz1bz1,

I'm always a bit concerned with some of the "fixes" that some of our U.S. corporations come up with. Rather than redesign the product to completely eliminate a problem, they tend to put a patch on things.

In this case, we're talking about the lower three-point attachment arms that come "pre-bent" from the factory. I don't like it.

I've seen what happens to a straight lower arm, when a rear-mounted blade is backed into a curb, a power pole, or some other immovable object while clearing snow. It seems reasonable to me that a "pre-bent" lower arm will bend much, much easier.

On the plus side, the cushioning effect, when the lower arms bend, will be greatly appreciated by the operator. The impact won't be quite as brutal as it would be with the straight lower arms.

In any case, I think it wise to have a spare on hand.....especially if a three-point mounted backhoe is ever to be used with your machine.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-07-12          155247

The lower arms on these machines are never straight from the factory, they always have a bend profile of some sort. It's probably not safe to assume a change to the original bend profile resulted in a weaker part. I would have thought a cheaper fix would be to space the wheels out a bit. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login