Go Bottom

abilities of very small compacts

View my Photos
Ben Johnson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-14          16271

Does anyone have any insight as to the abilities of very small compact tractors such as the JD650, Kubota B6000, Yanmar 155 (or the grey 1300)? I am considering a second tractor (I own a JD4400HST w/ loader, rotary etc.), mainly for jobs that require a tow tractor (ie getting sick of attaching and detaching hydraulic dump cart when using loader to move topsoil or manure or whathaveyou). Are these types of tractors too light to pull my 2 ton utility cart (country manufacturing 2 ton utility cart...link below), even with a good amount of front weight? I'm pretty sure my JD425 (about 950# w/ mower) is too light to pull it safely...how much do these models weigh? I'd like to buy from a local dealer for service, but i don't have the money to step out of this class of very small compacts without going grey (and if i did, what size yanmar would be able to tow the cart safely? weight guidelines?). also, would 2wd vs. 4wd have any great effect on the ability of the tractor to just pull the cart or till a small garden? Any advice? sorry for the book!Ben

Link:   utility cart

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-14          16275

The JD 670 has a spec weight of 1860 pounds. Since it is the updated version of the 650, the weight is probably close. Your trailer alone weighs 500 pounds in addition to a maximum 4000 pound payload. The towing capacity printed in JD brochures indicates that the towed load should not exceed the weight of the tractor plus operator. 4WD makes a definite difference in stopping ability on grades. Maybe for safety's sake, your trips on and off the 4400 to hook-up and unhook the trailer are worth it. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-14          16277

I don't know about the other tractors, but I used to have a B7100 Kubota and the manual said trailer gross weight of 1,000 lbs. Naturally you could pull more, but a 2 ton trailer behind a B6000 isn't something I'd really want to do. I agree with Jack. ....

View my Photos
Gene Zierdt

2000-05-18          16388

Ben,
I have a JD 650 4WD. I believe the weight is around 1200-1300 lbs. I would be very cautious about pulling anything over 1000 lbs with this tractor. The main complaint I have with it (although it's also a safety factor) is that the tractor loses traction very easily. This is a direct effect of the light weight. On level ground, I'm sure I could pull several tons, but on any grade (up or down) I'd worry about losing control when the tractor lost traction. I'd stick with your bigger tractor unless you are on dead level ground. ....

View my Photos
Gene Zierdt

2000-05-18          16389

Forgot about your 2WD/4WD question. The 4WD is absolutely essential for these machines to come anywhere close to performing up to the bigger tractors. Once again, it's the traction problem. The difference between 2 and 4WD is like night and day with my tractor. The only time I'm out of 4WD is on hard pavement. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-18          16398

I'm sure there must be a use for 2WD small tractors, but I agree with Gene; I sure wouldn't want one. When I had the B7100, I used 4WD a large percentage of the time, and needed it. ....

View my Photos
Joe Stein

2000-05-20          16439

The cart can be had from Northern Tool for $800 - 800-556-7885 ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-20          16445

I've been using a JD750 to clear a house lot and skid Pine logs for sawing into timbers. I've calc the wt. of machine w/ loaded tires and 67 loader to be 2900 lbs. I realize that I need a bigger machine, and I'm looking for one, however, I'm constantly amazed at what this 18 pto hp machine will accomplish. one of the biggest drawbacks form a stability standpoint is the narrow overall width. It's only 44.6 inches and can be dangerous on slopes. ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-20          16446

Eric. Do use some sort of arch on your 3pt. hitch to lift one end of the log clear of the ground? ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-20          16447

Eric. Please disregard my first reply, I had not seen your first post when I sent it. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-20          16450

Dave, I wasn't quite clear in my methods. Early on, I would simply use the 3pth bar with a pair of logging togs attached as close as possible. I skidded quite a few logs this way and some large ones at that. I was and am loggging for timbers to be sawn for a home I'm building. Anyways the logs could be as large as 16"-22" dia. by 28' long. The largest log couldn't be lift very high but with forward motion they would swing back, and up, clearing the ground by 4-6". fortunately the pickup site was only 500 ft away at that time. Pulling a log was not difficult, picking it up was! Most logs were not that large and I got by. I then came up with the bright idea to buy a Farmi winch. A really nice tool, the winch will pull logs unreachable to my tractor because of grade or whatever but... it weighs in at 450lbs and it also put the weight of the log 15"back from the 3pth (wrong answer!). The difference in leverage makes it unrealistic to pull even one med size log. Although the winch works well even with only 18 pto HP. Alas.. I need a larger tractor. At least 40 HP I think. Ohhh. the learning curve. To do really limited logging a 3pth frame would pick the logs up higher. The tongs work well but a choker chain might be better although if the log snags the tongs can pull free and this might be safer. ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-20          16455

Eric, I have a friend who has a Ford 1920 with a Farmi-type winch that weighsaround 700#. Outfit works great, but he does have to be careful to make only straight line hauls. If he gets offside it tends to pull the tractor around and quite possibly tip it over. This rig weighs around 6000# [loader, loaded tires. weights etc.]. I have a Ford 1710 that I use with a homemade arch and can usually snake my way to get to the logs. Lifting power is out of proportion to the size of the tractor. Truck driver who picked up logs at landing thought I was pulling his leg when I showed him what I had used. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-21          16486

Well Dave, do you think that I'm thinking big enough w/ a JD1070. I'm not sure of the gross wt. but it can't be as much as that ford. I have a farmiJL351P and it's only rated for 40HP pto. I'm also not sure of the lifting power on it's 3pth. I would hope at least 2000lbs. My next round of logging will incorporate 200ft of uphill travel on a fairly steep grade. I realize that front weights might be in order. I probably can't afford more than 40 hp unless I go to a well used machine. ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-22          16501

Eric.
. The 1070 JD should be more than adequate. I believe that tractor is bigger than a Ford 1920, more like the 40 hp. Ford 2120. ....

View my Photos
CaseyR

2000-05-22          16526

The Yanmar 155D weighs only about 1100 lbs and it doesn't take too much of a load on the 3-pt hitch to raise the nose off the ground, even with some weight on the front end. Can't remember the 3-pt rating, but I am sure that it is under 800lbs and could even be 600lbs. ....

View my Photos
Joe Stein

2000-05-22          16527

Farm Equipment Guide Specs.

FORD 1710 FWD = 2,560 lbs @ 26HP-E * 23.8HP-PTO
FORD 1920 FWD = 3,089 lbs @ 33.3HP-E * 28.5HP-PTO
FORD 2120 FWD = 3,858 lbs @ 42.6HP-E * 34.5HP-PTO
JD 1070 FWD = 3,265 lbs @ 38.5HP-E * 35HP-PTO
YAN 155D FWD = 1,146 lbs @ 15HP-E * N/L-PTO

Just some information I thought might help.

Joe Stein ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-23          16569

Dave.. I looked at a beautiful ford 2120. Used with 45hrs. Nice machine, but more than I had to spend. As Joe points out the 2120 has more horses but the big difference is that it's a full size machine. I don't think mowing a 1 or 2 acre lawn would be quite practical. If I had $24k, I would have bought it on the spot. For logging and snowplowing etc it would be great. I put money down on the 1070 I saw on Mon. to hold it while I figure out whether to take the 440 loader or a 460 loader. I've been getting mixed messages from the dealers on this issue of fit for the 1070/460 combination. I need an absolute answer soon. I test drove the 1070 w/o a loader on it. It has a two stage clutch which I'm not used to, putting the let off point highup. Popped a wheely, to my surprise, first thing. Felt like an idiot. Thanks joe for looking up those stats.. ....

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-23          16571

Eric. Search over to Tractorbynet , they have a section devoted to JD. and might be able to answer your question. You're right about the 2120, their greater length and that 6 ft. bucket make them somewhat clumsy in the woods. Good tractor though, especially with the hydraulic shuttle shift.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login