Go Bottom

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Rob Benzi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-17          16346

Can anyone recommend what size compact tractor I should buy? I need to plow snow in the winter (300 ft. drive) and haul firwood in the summer. That's it ! Thanks.........

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2000-05-17          16349

Rob - first advice - buy the largest that you can afford, it will save you trading up when you want to do more. You didn't mention how much land you have and if you also would use it to mow. From your basic needs, a garden tractor would serve you well, with a trailer and either a blade or snow blower/thrower. That is what I started out with until I wanted to add a loader. For choice - go out to the different green, red, orange and blue dealers and test drive. I just went through the process and decided on a John Deere 790, good basic tractor. Also, go to the index and look for threads that look interesting.

Halsey

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-17          16353

Rob,
Following whats been said, You didn't mention how much land you own or take care of. We are all potentially missing a large chunk of your equation when giving a size recommendation. Secondly, it would be beneficial to all of us to know what size trailer you use or intend to use to haul firewood. If you are planning to use one of those dinky metal trailers you find at Home Depot or Sears Hardware....you might as well go for a Honda or Yamaha 4x4 4-wheeler and buy a blade that pivots in the middle to create a V plow. They probably come standard with a hitch and would handle stomping around in the forest a whole lot better than a lawn tractor. After the work is done...you have something to play with. Not to mention that it'll fit on a pick-up. My disabled uncle uses his as an outdoor wheelchair and plows his 1/4 mile dirt driveway with it. He even uses it to tow empty hay wagons back to the field. Trust me..its a VERY capable setup. The thing would be unstoppable in snow with chains. Taking this route would also be less expensive. BUT if your sold on a compact and your using a decent sized and weight able trailer, I would venture along the Kubota BX?/B2100, JD 4100, NH TC21 path. I don't mean to sound as if I'm against a compact, just wouldn't want to see you shell out alot of money for something a 4-whr could do. ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Rob Benzi

2000-05-18          16376

Gents, I own 45 acres of woods with a very small lawn (planned it that way). ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
dave piper

2000-05-18          16386

Rob. Do you intend to haul cut up firewood in a trailer or skid logs out of the woods? ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-18          16395

Rob,
One of the greatest things about the CTB is the amount of experience in various areas that comes here everyday. Everyone here helps each other out in determining what works and what doesn't. Sometimes things are cut n' dry other times opinions rule. With that said, We can only base our posts upon what you provide us with, and what our experience tells us. Not knowing what size trailer you plan to use makes it difficult to determine what tractor would be appropriate. More you tell us about how you intend to use this unit will determine the make and model as well. Do you intend to drag logs or simply ? Further, most guys here have budgets in which we must work within. Based upon my own personal experience (9 years) of working on a farm in which we cut firewood in the winter. 45-60 Quards(sp?) per year.. I would recommend a +30hp 4x4 tractor with a loader. But then again, we used a converted big old heavy manure spreader as our trailer. Fully loaded, this thing would make a 30hp unit work a bit. ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Rob Benzi

2000-05-24          16581

Just haul wood in a trailer ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Rob Benzi

2000-05-24          16582

Mike,I'm just starting out. I'll probably haul three cords a year. I don't have a trailer yet. Budget wise, I'm trying to get through this at a reasonable cost. I'm just finishing building a house so $$$$ are tight. Thanks............

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
David Gillaspie

2000-08-07          18598

If all you want to do is haul firewood and plow snow and don't want to spend alot of money I would reccomend a small 4wd compact 16-20 hp. If you have never used one Im quite sure you will be amazed at what it will do. What you speak of is purely pulling pushing. My 16 hp tractor weighs 1500 lb, about the same as many tractors up to about 25 hp and it runs out of weight long before it runs out of power. As for pulling power, I recently pulled out several tree stumps 4 to 5" cut high of course. the key here is 4wd and a little diesel engine that is absouletly amazing at low rpm. Also think about turning the thing in the woods and pulling trees down to an area to be cut up. In my opinion a 4wd atv doesn't even compare in the pulling department and will burn alot more fuel............. ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-08-08          18642

David G is on the right track here; You'll be surprised at what a small diesel cocompact will do for you. I'd search CUB, Kubota, JD and New Holland for something in a 16-20HP diesel, 4wd! ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
Rob

2000-08-24          19087

Thanks to all for the info. I have one more question. Is there a site out there that lists the dealer mark up on new tractors? Thanks again.......... ....

Compact Tractor

View my Photos
evansgarr

2000-08-24          19089

Don't know of a site that shows mark-up margins, but they are fairly good. Quiet naturally the larger the unit the more margin the dealer has.

If you can give some specific brand pricing, I'll be happy to share with you what's in the market place in comparison. I'm fairly familar with CUB and Kubota competitive pricing when I see it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login