Go Bottom

need info

View my Photos
muleflower
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-02          168933

i'm looking to buy my first tractor. It will be either a 1982 Mitsubishi or a 1986 Massey Fergusson1030. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these brands?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

need info

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-03          168963

Right off think you will find the MF parts much easier to find. At one time the NAPA stores did sell some parts for MF. No idea if there is anything special on the 1030 model MF or not. One advantage of the Mitts is you probably have a tractor they built while MF has no plants of their own. ....

need info

View my Photos
muleflower

2010-03-03          168969

thanks for your reply. i went to see the MF with a mechanic friend and it was going to need to much work. The Mitts has been sold. So Im back to square one! What kind of tractor do you have? ....

need info

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-06          169000

I have Kubota and have been pleased with them. BOth are around 10 years old. Other brands that have good parts support are New Holland/Case (same company) and John Deere being the next two companies I would consider but Massey has good parts dealership support from all I know. Not sure on Massey now but at one time they ran lower price quality hp and then a better product line.

Even if buying used I suggest you visit dealerships near you. Sooner or later any machine will need parts and service. Of course you don't have to have the same brand dealership as the equipment is but in some cases they will not want to work on other brands. A good dealership can be a great friend. If this is your first tractor a good sales person can really help you. The first salesman I ever worked with was the best of any. He was very polite and yes talked about tractors enough to be sure of what I wanted and then needed and then he was ready to talk tractor. At same time he was easy and ready to answer the reason for his recommendations. A true pro. He was a Case/Massey person. ....

need info

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-06          169003

Like has been said a good dealership can make or break your tractor experince. Brand loyalty seems to cluster around a good dealership, locally you don't see many Masseys but a dealer is quite a ways from here too.
I have no Massey experience so I can't comment only that I think they are still the largest tractor builder world wide so someone must buy them. Deere, Kubota, and Case/NH are all good brands with parts forever. I'd be a bit shy about the overseas brands that I can't pronounce, you see a dealership pop up here and there and a year later the place is vacant. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login