Go Bottom

What Type of Tractor for 40 ac

View my Photos
Keitho
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-15          17225

I'm new to this board, but it seems like it's full of great info. I just purchased a 40 acre parcel (about 25 acres of pasture to mow, the rest woods/creek) It is somewhat rough, hilly and a little wet (central Florida). For mowing/bush hogging, grading driveways, some loader work, etc. would it be better to get a larger used 2WD tractor or a compact 4WD newer tractor? Any model/brand/feature recommendations? I want to make sure I don't get something too small for my needs.Any help would be appreciated.Keith.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-15          17234

I guess it depends to some extent on how big you call "larger". For myself, I don't want a 2WD tractor again; I'll stay with the 4WD. Are you going to get a front end loader (handiest gadget I know of)? If so, the 4WD and hydrostatic transmission makes the work so much easier, faster, and safer. And with the modern compact tractors, you'll probably use less fuel, less oil to buy when you change oil, etc. It may cost more initially, but will probably save you money in the long run. Good luck with your shopping. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-06-15          17236

I also have about 40 acres of grasses, trees and ponds. Fortunately I have the best of many worlds. I have a 20 HP JD 4100 which is great for mowing and close quarter work and easy to transport. Anything much larger would be hard on the grass and hard to maneuver around lots of little trees. I also though have a 43 HP Kubota L4310 which is great for heavier work with a 6' rotary mower and 5' tiller. I could probably get away with less but the tree planter I need to use requires 40-50 HP. In addition I have a Bobcat that is extremely useful, much more so than any tractor, for loader work and other implements for contruction etc. If you needed just one, I would get something in between which would be the best of worst of all worlds. As for brands, any of the big three are good and they all have advantages and disadvantages. THe dealer is of course important since you will probably be there a lot. ....

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2000-06-16          17254

Sounds like you have plenty of potential work to do. My guess is at least 35 hp and 4wd. I bought a L4310 GST, Mark would tell you to go Hydro and I"m not sure he doesn't have a valid point. I bought ORANGE but they arent for everyone. Buy as much HP as you can afford. Also important is to take your time try out all that interest youand make sure you have a reputable dealer.
My view for what its worth
Greg ....

View my Photos
Keitho

2000-06-19          17321

Thanks for the advice! I'll be out searching for new and used tractors, and I'll be sure to mention what I come across.
Keith ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login