Go Bottom

Need tractor advice

View my Photos
Carlton Self
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-08          19591

I am a little behind the new compact tractor models and need advice. We have a 60 acre farm where we raised timber and hay and a few cows. For years we owned a 1969 John Deere 1020, I think it's around 38 horsepower. This tractor mounted with a 175 JD loader had plenty of power for all our needs, the loader would handle bales of hay (usually under 700 pounds, but on occasion up to a 1000 pounds), and the tractor had plenty of power for bushhogging and mowing with a sickle mower. The tractor was auctioned off years ago when my parents felt they couldn't maintain the farm. Now, having moved home, I need a tractor to do the same type of work (sickling, fluffing and raking hay, bushhogging and general chores). A friend of mine said the 35-40 horse tractors of today couldn't compare with the old 1020, and that I'd need to go to around 50 hp to have something that would, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need tractor advice

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-08          19594

Carlton, I don't really know, but I'll venture a guess that the old tractor, while rated at lower hp (39 PTO hp according to tractortips.com) was bigger and heavier than the modern compacts. And while it would probably be possible to do what you want to do with tractor in the 35-40hp range, I agree with the person who told you to go to the 50hp range. You'll be a lot happier with it, and get the work done faster and more comfortably. ....

Need tractor advice

View my Photos
Bill Cooman

2000-09-08          19604

Carlton, your friend is comparing apples to oranges. There is a big difference between a compact tractor and a full size tractor, even if the horsepower is equal. If you compare today's 40hp compact against today's 40hp full size tractor, you'll find that the compact is half the weight and physical size. Your old Deere, although small, was a full size tractor, not a compact, with a full size weight. If you have the storage to accommodate a full size 35-40hp tractor and the acreage to justify it (20+ acres), you'd probably be better off going that route. There are still some manufacturers who make full size machines around 40hp, or you might find a good used unit. For loader work, you'll definately want power steering; 4wd would be nice too. ....

Need tractor advice

View my Photos
Carlton Self

2000-09-08          19617

Today I looked at a JD models 5105 and 5310 and liked what I saw in terms of weight and general size, however, my dealer had a model 4700 on the lot and I greatly prefer the operating station on the 4000 series. The 4700 was pricier than the 5105 but comparably priced with the 5310. He says for the money the 5105 series can't be beat, but the 5310 is, to use his terms "the premium utility tractor." I'd like to hear your more experienced thoughts on the three tractors, as well as Kubota's in the same hp range. Your assistance is greatly appreciated. ....

Need tractor advice

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-09          19622

Carlton, go to a Kubota dealer and look at the Grand L series if you want a hydrostatic transmission (which I'd hate to be without) or the M series if you want a bigger tractor with gears or power shift. You might also start by just looking at the specs on the different ones at Kubota's own web site. Try the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top

Share This

Member Login