Go Bottom

skid loader vs compact tractor

View my Photos
jarrett morgan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-10          22313

Hi guys im in the landscaping business and also have an acreage in eastern iowa. my ? is what do i need to buy a skid loader or a compact tractor. currently i have a ford 8-n tractor it works great but i want something with a loader on it and enough guts to pull a box blade or pulverisor. but skid loaders look good in some aspects also . you see what you have in the bucket and there quick on their feet. ive ran about every skid loader brand and like the new holland or bobcat,but i dont like the attachment $$$$ high end if you know what i mean. what if i kept my 8-n and got a skid loader ? i want to know your ideas it would be great to have a back hoe also. what do i do? whats your best combo tractor for a loader backhoe combo? new holland boomer? kubota l-series or what jarrett morgan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-10          22315

Jarrett, in my opinion there are too many possibilities to give you a really intelligent answer to your questions. But if you're going to do a lot of backhoe work, I'd sure suggest that you look at the Kubota B21, L35, and/or the new L48 tractors. Of course, you can use a backhoe on lots of the other compact tractors, but you'll find a lot of discussion about the possibility of damage with a 3-point backhoe if you aren't very cautious with its use, and there are subframe backhoes available for the compact tractors, but the 3 I listed are designed specifically for that kind of use. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-12-10          22317

Jerrett,
Don't know where in eastern iowa you are but if you are close to ceder rapids talk to Dwight Hughes. He has a large nursery/landscape firm there. He was kind enough to allow me to try some of his equipment a power-trac being the one I was interested in. I am a landscaper the does finegrading and seeding only on that end of my business. I was impressed by the power-trac and it capibilities. Others on here will probably disagree but if you see what Dwight does with his you might consider it. They have packages available that are reaonably priced. you can check them out at www.power-trac.com. hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-10          22318

Jarrett, take Mr. Senter's advice, he knows what he is talking about. Don't even think about a 3pt hoe unless you have a death wish! In addition, I too, do landscaping. I use several tractors but mostly a compact hydrostatic tractor with a FEL that has a skid steer attachment capability. I snap on and off each attachment with the throw of two levers. Why a compact instead of an out and out skid steer? The tractor is easier on lawns and paved surfaces. It doesn't have to be run at max throttle to work well, and its speed over all types of terrain is faster. It has two mechanical PTO's, it has real brakes plus a parking brake that works with a load, and I can have both the FEL and backhoe on at the same time. The MFWD is on only when I need it, it has three gear ranges with infinite speeds within each, it sips diesel fuel, and gives a softer ride because of its longer wheelbase. True, it can't turn in its own radius but that is of little concern to me. The B21, L35 and L48 have the big edge in our kind of work. Most guys I know have the L35 and it works better than my compact as far as the hoe is concerned. I personally don't like the B21, the few I've seen on the job are next to useless and usually get traded for the L35, eventually. I've used a skid steer just once and found the need to unhitch the bucket to mount the hoe was a major pain in the butt. Yet, lots of people like 'em, go figure? ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-10          22330

A 3 point backhoe isn't any more dangerous than a frame mount, if it has a brawbar bracket & is installed correctly. I can't believe in this litigous society that any manufacture would make a backhoe without some type of bracing to prevent the hoe from going up on the 3 point. Most of the advantages of the compact tractor have been discussed-- easier on lawns, cheaper attachments, easy in attachment mounting. I have used, low hour compact tractors & attachments including one with a loader & backhoe mounted on it. I'm 35 miles east of Clinton, Iowa. Feel free to contact me at sheaftractor@coiinc.com or 815-284-3226. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-11          22333

For what my two cents are worth (their Canadian cents so probably only one cent US$). I am a "landscape contractor" also, except my business is basically 90% golf course work (new construction & on-going work). While I do own a skid-steer, I also own 8 compacts and a mini-excavator (small, 8', 4000# rubber-tracked backhoe). I firmly believe in having a good all-round machine, however, in business time is money. Nothing digs like a dedicated 'hoe' (sorry TLB fans). Further, a well designed loader will out perform a multi-task machine every day of the week, but you will create a big mess to clean up afterwards, and if you have far to travel with a load you will be MUCH slower. The vast majority of our work is done with 40hp class 4wd's with FEL's. If you have the money, by all means, buy one of each. If not, get a 4wd compact with a FEL (including quick-attach kit) you will never regret it. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-11          22334

As Murf says, nothing is as handy and universal as a 40 hp 4wd compact with a loader. I've had 8N Fords, T020s, and JDs....in fact a lot of us have. A modern compact is capable of so much more work with so much less effort that it isn't even a race. The one exception would be loading a tall truck in close quarters - which is easier done with the skid loader. But the compact will do it, and if you have to go any distance with the load then the compact will win out.
I have a three point hoe and it is just fine for occassional and hobby work. you can even stretch it to the point of being able to do a little real excavation. But if you are going to use one on a regular basis then get a frame mount. The reason has to do with how it works, not how safe it is. ....

View my Photos
jarrett morgan

2000-12-11          22338

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS WHAT DOES A KUBOTA L- 48 GO FOR $ ALSO I HAVE THE VIDEO FOR ONE OF THOSE POWER TRACS COOL MACHINE BUT CAN YOU LOAD A DUMP TRAILER OR TRUCK WITH IT. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-12-11          22340

The lift height of the power trac is on the website specs. ranges from52 in to i think 9 ft. don't quote me on that, been a while since i looked. anyway, the best part about the machine is that it is real easy on the established lawns. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-11          22343

Jarrett, try clicking on the Carver Equipment banner and navigate through their web site for information about the L48. I just now looked and see that they list the L48, loader, backhoe, and 4 in 1 bucket for "less than $39,500." ....

View my Photos
Art White

2000-12-11          22346

Jarrett the L-48 will clear most all 6 wheel dump trucks with no problems and will give you some great options to hook up. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-11          22348

I stand by my statement that the 3pt hitch backhoe is more dangerous. It is more so than a hard-mounted hoe (as in the dedicated construction machine), and is more dangerous than a sub-frame equipped unit. This is not to say that they can't be operated safely, they can, but they present a unique set of circumstances that can be extremely unsafe, beyond the incompetence of the operator. Mr. Sheaffer notes that a "properly installed" unit is safe if it also has a drawbar bracket. A good point that is well taken and some manufacturers like Kelly have kits for this, however, 3pt units really do rely on the competency of the person making the hitch connections more than a sub-frame unit. I've seen this connection done poorly, in particular the hitch arms not being properly side tensioned. I've also read about failures of the draft sensing type hitches complicating operation. The last safety point I'd like to make regarding the 3pt hitch backhoe is that it is easy to get too much hoe for the machine. The universal aspect of the Category hitches can see too small a machine connected to too powerful a backhoe, some units are literally powerful enough to flip a light weight machine. I know, you are saying to yourself, what idiot would do that? We all do strange things when pressed for time and we all have improvised at the expense of safety. It is human nature. Finally, not exactly a danger to humans, is the danger to the machine. Many compact tractors have cast aluminum in the transmission and drive train housings, if the machine is not supported by a sub-frame they often break in half. Many have top link mounting points that can't withstand excessive pressure caused by the more powerful backhoe's bucket curl force. Large ag tractors can take the forces, most utility compacts can't. I didn't intend to demean or berate those who have, or have used, this type of backhoe, but I will still recommend the sub-frame type mounts as being safer, especially to the novice who seeks advice from those who should know better. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-12-14          22421

I had my Bobcat before I bought my two tractors. When I bought my Kubota L4310 with a loader I thought it would be of great use and probably had more power than the Bobcat. But I quickly realized that for ease of use and speed and agility, the tractor was was out of the Bobcat's league. I almost never use the tractor if I can use the Bobcat. Yes, it will do much more damage to a lawn. Yes the attachments are expensive (but they are extremely well made and work well and of course, there is no 3 point hitch which saves me incredible amounts of frustration - if you want a backhoe on the bobcat, it takes 10 minutes, if you want to attach a different bucket, it is 1 minute, etc.). I can't believe anyone would use a tractor FEL if they had a choice since you can actually see what you are doing with the Bobcat rather than guessing. Unless you are plowing or have turf to worry about, I would opt for the Bobcat everytime. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-14          22425

Re: 3ph backhoes. I think both Ted and Roger are right. I guess that's easy for me to say since I do own a 3ph hoe. If I used it extensively or in hard ground, I'd probably want a sub-frame mount. However, many sub-frame mounts compromise other tractor use. My hoe is somewhat undersized for the tractor and I think I use it well and safely. I do acknowledge the structural issues. I thought I'd say that my hydraulic setup reduces one of the most mentioned safety hazards (having the 3ph raise with an operator in the hoe seat). I feed my hoe from the first spool of a 3-spool control valve set for my loader. With that valve actuated, neither the 3ph nor the loader operate. For me to take a rapid ride into the ROSP, the bungee cord that holds the control valve open would have to fail. At the same time, the 3ph lever would have to be inadvertently left in a raise position. And, there would have to be a failure in the 3ph lock-down part of the hoe mount. It could happen, but it seems a pretty slim chance. I further reduce safety risks by checking the hoe mount every half-hour of operation or so. I worry more about breaking the tractor with the hoe. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login