Go Bottom

Garage Space needed for Tractor

View my Photos
MidAtlantic Bob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-03-21          25689

I am looking to buy a B7500 or B2710 with Loader, Mower either rear or Belly, and rear Blade. I have a Three Car garage with one available for the Tractor and implements. QUESTION. Will I be able to store the Loader, and Blade in that space. And would I buy the Belly Mower just to take up less room in the Garage, would I be able to store a snowBlower, Tiller and box scraper in that space????? Later? Or do I need a equipment Building, I don't really want to go there!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-03-21          25691

Bob, a single garage bay will work great for a B7500 or B2710 with loader, belly mower, and rear blade. When you go to multiple rear implements, whether it is a rear finish mower, tiller, box scraper, or rear blade, your biggest problem will be access, not space. You will either be hooking up and then dropping in your driveway to get to the implement you want or you will be picking up the one(s) in your way with your loader and dropping them in your driveway to get them out of the way. And then you have to put everything back. Solutions range from leaving the simplest (or dirtiest) implements (rear blade, box scraper, tiller, etc) out in the open, to covering them with tarps, to building an equipment shed. You can also make little dollies with casters on them for your implements so you can jockey them around easily in the garage. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-03-21          25695

Bob, I had a similar problem storing implements at my last home. I solved the problem with the help of a friend and by using basic woodworking skills. The back of the garage bay was turned into a multi-level shelf constructed of 4x4's for up rights, and 2x6's for supports and stretchers. I used 2x4's for the actual shelf and covered them with 3/4 plywood. Everything was lagged into the garage framing or made to carry loads to the floor. On this system I stored a 6' York RS rake, a rear blade, a Woods 62" 3pt finishing mower, a 1961 7hp Cub Cadet garden tractor w/mower deck, and an assortment of smaller tools and machines like trimmers and chainsaws. I parked the tractor facing the shelf with my forks attached to the FEL, and the fork tines slipped under my FEL bucket. When I needed something I backed up, used the forks to lift the attachment from the shelf, went outside and made the switch. It was much cheeper than a new garage and I was able to fit my stuff in without the loss of walk-around space. I think the total cost was $450 and dinner for my friend and his wife. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-03-22          25712

Bob I probably will get accused of insensitivity, but here goes take 2 bays and let your signficant other park out in the weather??? :-) I'm still chuckling... I also keep the tractor in the heated garage both our cars stay out. My work bay is usually occupied with a project. I keep the attachment that I am using on. PROBLEM unless I use pressure washer or scrape the under side of mowers I have a MUSTY smell in the house. I keep most attachments in the hedge row and do not cover them. Reason; the sun and wind will dry them out and a cover will keep the moisture in that comes up out of the ground. I do use the casters in the shed (that is full of rought cut lumber, firewood and precious treasures) to store my counter weight box. Back to the insensitivity, it was explained to me that this year I would add more garage space on for her parking... we'll see who runs this place...do not ask for pictures of my ripped and tattered body. ....

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-03-22          25718

I had the same problem. I have one garage bay in which to store my tractor and implements--approximately 12 x 22 feet. My tractor is small (a JD Model 670)and by using dollies I can fit the tractor and implements in the one bay. The implements include a chain harrow, a crane, a flexible blade cultivator, a box blade, a scoop, a chipper, a water wagon (for watering plants and bushes), a shredder, a finish mower, and a blade. It's a little tight, but not bad. I have plenty of room to back in the tractor and to pull out individual implements for use. I purchased steel swivel castors from Tractor Supply (a little under $5.00 each for use on the dollies; rubber or plastic castors don't stand up well on concrete and get flat on one side standing under a heavy load. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-24          25796

I temporarily solved my storage problems with a tent. A Company near here makes building sized shelters that are used mostly in the arctic. They also supply their shelters with covers suitable for year around use in more temperate climates. The covers are snow proof and adequately, but not completely water proof. Since they are intended for arctic use, they are designed to withstand high winds. My 14' x 25'x 7.5' entrance shelter cost $1100 CAN, goes up in an afternoon and lasts at least 7 years. The dealer said the covers used to last 10 years, but there's more ultraviolet in sunlight now that reduces the cover life. Anyway, it's been a good temporary solution. It certainly is much less expensive than building a shed when I first got the tractor would have been. A first-year shed would have been way too small, and now I'd be building a second one. If I do build a shed this year, I figure that the tent will still be handy. I might want a temporary shelter for working a piece of bush sometime. ....

View my Photos
Robert

2001-03-27          25975

It does not cost much to build a lean-too off the back of the building. If you do not want to do that you can build a seperate machine shed with just 3 walls and a roof using steel or wood. Then you can hang canvas tarps from the front to make doors, this is what most of the Amish use for their saw mills because the canvas tarps are cheap compared to doors and are easily repaired. It cost a few dollars but you can then just back up to each implement and hook on, you wouldn't have to move everything around all the time to get to something. To build a machine shed you will be looking at about $2k with a gravel floor which is very affordable for most people. Then you can park your tractor in it if you had to. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-03-28          25992

Good idea, but I'd inform myself about building codes and bylaws. It's not a good idea to put up something that actually requires a permit or runs afoul of a by-law. Here in Ontario, anything with a roof and more than 100 ft2 requires a building permit. Maintaining codes usually is a good idea, but they sure can run up the costs. On the other hand, there are various ways of doing things. A building inspector will usually tell you what they will approve before you start drawing up plans. For example, we put a 40' x 8' freestanding deck beside our construction trailer last summer. The full codes call for 8" sonno tubes below frost on 8' centres. We didn't figure we could get enough water from our dug well to even mix the concrete. After talking with our inspector, we got a permit approved for deck blocks on 2' paving stones--a lot cheaper. The inspector did tell us he would approve the design, but not to come back next year wanting to enclose the desk--we couldn't imagine wanting to do that anyway. So, with a little talk, we got the deck at a realistic price, and it's a legal structure so there's insurance coverage if there’s ever an accident. On the other hand, there's a well-known loophole in the codes for evasively inclined folks. An unenclosed pole shed of any size can be put up without a permit for the purpose of storing firewood. 'Course, tarps can be hung on the sides to keep the wood dry. Technically, a couple of sticks of firewood have to be kept in it. Still, codes usually make some sense, and it's a good idea to find out what they are and stick pretty close to them. Same with by-laws. There are some by-laws out there that don't seem to make a lot of sense in the middle of the sticks. ....

View my Photos
Maitin

2001-04-19          26936

Of course, you could just build a shed on wheels. Then it is a "Trailer?" and not subject to building codes at all... ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-21          27039

Yeah, that's a funny idea. If it was done right, you could probably plow a field without even taking the tractor and plow out of the shed. On the other hand, codes and by-laws also can be jokes, but often not very funny ones. Our 40' construction trailer had to have a building permit when we started staying in it. The next size larger shelter tent (mentioned above) that I use for a shed also would require a building permit--of course, this is regulation happy Ontario. Residents of other places may have more opportunity to laugh 'cause us Ontarioans spend most our time coping with government. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login