Go Bottom

Should I buy the New Holland TC 33 D or the JD 4300

View my Photos
Sig Hope
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-04          26341

I have test driven both tractors and like the comfort and ease of the New Holland TC 33 D. Has anyone else pondered the differences between the New Holland and the John Deere 4300?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-04          26342

If you like the comfort of the NH, then I can't think of any better reason to go with it. I think all of the top name brands are so close in performance that it boils down to the intangibles. When something is that close, I like to go with the gut feeling. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-04-05          26370

Last Dec. I looked at tc33D and 4300. I liked the NH better but the decideing factor for me was the 4300 had alot more loader lift and 3 point lift. If the NH was the same I would have bought blue. Don't get me wrong, I love my 4300. Got it jan 12 and over 110Hrs so far, if it ever drys up I'll put alot more on it. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-08          26452

I get curious about this ratings stuff, and I end up wondering what accounts for differences in ratings. Generally, compact hydraulic systems operate at similar max pressures and use similar diameter hydraulic cylinders so the basic hydraulic power should be similar (pump capacity and HP affect lift speed rather than weight capacity). Differences in loader frame and 3ph geometry could affect lift capacity, but geometry affects the relation between lift capacity and distance. Less weight capacity equals more distance. However, for similar sized tractors, the distances traveled for loaders and 3ph's are similar. A loader bucket goes from slightly below ground to over the hood on almost all tractors. There doesn’t seem to be a need for one tractor to have a frame geometry that gives a lot of distance at the expense of lift capacity. However, I believe that capacity ratings have safety factors built into them. The capacity ratings might be interpreted as 'maximum safe unballasted weight). If that's true, then a light tractor with a short wheel-base should have relatively low ratings. Could be that the tractors actually have similar 'raw lift capacities,' but the NH is lighter and shorter. Such could be the case, because a manufacturer isn't going to tell owners something like 'here is the max weight, but you have to ballast the tractor safely.' So, the tractors could have similar ballasted lifting capacities, but of course, there's the issue of supporting frame and case capacities. The supporting frames of lower capacity tractors may not be equivalent to heavier tractors. Don't know. Maybe I should spend less time thinking about this complicated stuff. However, I do have an attitude that is simplifying, but perhaps contains some risk. My attitude is that if the 3ph or loader hydraulics can lift something without stalling, then the tractor is engineered for it, and it's my responsibility to provide the right ballast for safe operation. Irrespective of all this, I think that both tractors are good machines, and most anybody would be happy with either of them. There are minor differences among all makes that allow some to do a few things better than others. However, the features that minor advantages in one place create minor disadvantages in others. The differences in overall function across all makes seem to be fairly minor, and almost any tractor is going to find a useful place in the life of almost anybody who lives in the country. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-08          26457

Tom, that is how I see it too. Based on my own design experience, I'd guess that the actual lifting abilities are so close as to make little difference. The "reported lift capacities" probably have more to do with wheelbase, ballasting, and marketing than engineering. On my own tractors I've noticed that how much lift I can use has a lot do do with wheelbase and how the tractor's weight is distributed. Both tractors will lift plenty.
As for NH vs JD, I'd be more likely to base my choice on which one had an engine note that was pleasing to my ear, and which one I felt most comfortable getting on and off....truly. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-04-09          26499

Yes: me too! Might even buy a Harley someday. Somebody once told me that Harley holds a patent on the engine sound. Could be--I guess that would prevent commercial media use that was obviously associating a Harley with another product. However, I'm not sure how you'd design a reciprocating twin engine for that sort of application and not have it sound about the same. But then, I've never been sure what a reciprocating twin engine is exactly--except that I've never owned one. I did have an early Honda-4. The Honda might outrun the Harleys, at least for awhile, but the sound didn't do it for me. It always made me feel like I should buy a helmet with a chin guard and crouch behind a faring. Guess I should just be happy that I have a tractor where I don’t feel the need to wear a helmet with a chin guard. Guess my 1710 tractor sounds more like a Harley than the Honda did. I probably like the tractor better than I did the Honda too. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login