Go Bottom

What should I buy

View my Photos
Tom Reay
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-25          27249

I am reading through the previous posts and cannot decide what I need. I have 5 acres with a 1/2 acre pond, all flat with about 50 trees. Its in the Houston area (nice and hot). One dealer says a riding mower will work, another says get a utility tractor. I don't want to over kill, but I don't want to burn out something thats not strong enough. What do you guys think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What should I buy

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-26          27251

Tom, it depends on what you'll be using it for, and what you might be using it for in the future. And things related to that, like how much time you want to spend on a tractor. Start things off by telling us what you think you'll use it for (mowing, horses, orchard, crops, pasture ...) and characteristics of your land (slope, swamp, clay, lawn, ...) JonB ....

What should I buy

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2001-04-26          27258

I've lived on 5 acres in the Houston area (Huffman) for 20+ years. I started with a riding mower, that lasted about 2 yrs. Bought a Ford lawn & garden tractor (12 hp, gasoline) which lasted about 7-8 years. I've now have a Kubota G1800 (18 hp diesel)for about 10 yrs that acts like it will last forever. But if I were in the market now I would look real hard at the Kubota BX2200 with a loader and belly mower. The BX looks ideal for small acreage with lots of obstacles (trees). ....

What should I buy

View my Photos
mark

2001-04-26          27260

If you are planning on mowing the entire 5 acres I would definately look into a Compact vs. a Riding mower. Riding mowers are great for up to about 2 acres after that you are just working it too much. And the diesel engines in compacts are fairly fuel efficient compared with a gasoline engine.
Hope that helps.

Mark ....

What should I buy

View my Photos
Tom Reay

2001-04-26          27279

Jon, I think I will just be mowing, have no crops, or animals. The ground is pretty flat with a few low spots (max elivation change is only 5 feet),and non swampy (except when it rains cats and dogs). It might be nice to scrape and leval out the low spots, but if I can sve the cash with a big Scott mower, I would much rather do that. I really thank you guys for all you help.

What should I buy

View my Photos
JonB

2001-04-28          27313

Tom, if mowing is all you will ever use it for, consider how much time you want to spend mowing. If you have a huge lawn, consider a rear engine riding mower. If you'll be cutting a field, a mower probably isn't the best machine. Also consider your future uses. I started looking for a garden tractor to mow a field and maybe till a small garden. Now I use a JD 4100 to mow, till, grade, load, drill, rake, and do much more than I even thought possible. Take a look at site linked below. Another good site for smaller, mowing garden tractors, is: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/
Best of luck. JonB ....

Link:   Small Tractor FAQ

Go Top

Share This

Member Login