Go Bottom

What size tractor

View my Photos
KC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-02          27652

I am looking for some advice on buying a tractor. I mow about 3 acres, I will need to brush hog 1 acre. I maintain about 1/2 mile of dirt road(this includes clearing snow) and we have alot of landscaping to do at this home and our new home. But first and most it must mow grass. We have been looking at Kubota 2410 and 7500 and like most we are under a budget. Is the 7500 going to be enough tractor? Can it handle a brush hog and box scraper? Any advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What size tractor

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-02          27657

KC, either tractor should do what you want to do. And yes, the 7500 can handle a box blade and brush hog, perhaps one size smaller than the ones you could use on the 2410. That just means it might take you a little longer to do the jobs. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-03          27695

Small and light is good for a few acres with a lot of landscaping. It takes time to maneuver a big tractor around things, or it leaves a lot of trimming. Sharp turns during maneuvering with a heavy tractor don’t do the sod any good. As a result, finish mowing a yard with a small tractor may actually be faster than with a bigger tractor. Most other things just take longer with a smaller tractor. There may be some lifting operations that just can't be done with a small tractor. However, no tractor is an island. There always are neighbours and contractors to help with tasks that aren't quite right for whatever tractor is bought. That issue doesn't go away. If you've got a big tractor, then the little tasks become a pain. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
Arnie

2001-05-03          27699

This question is for Tom G.
I've read a lot of your post on this board and they are very helpful. I've noticed however that you mention in some that you have a Kelley model 600, in others you mention you have a Kelley model 650. I've not heard of a Kelley model 650. I've just purchased a Kelley model 600 for my John Deere 855 and have some questions. You can email me at asayre1947@aol.com
Thanks. ....

What size tractor

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-04          27740

Arnie: Yes, it's a B600. Just looked at the manual. It has a maximum depth of 6.5' and I think I was just adding 1/2' to the model number. Of course, you can't actually dig at the max depth, so maybe B600 is a better model number. The 6' depth is supposed to give a 2' trench bottom. However, unless you're willing to spend most of your time moving the tractor, 5' or less is about the deepest practical trench. Maybe a lower model number would be even better. If you don't mind, I'd think I'd like to respond to your questions here rather than through e-mail. The exchange might benefit somebody else. In addition, there's always the chance I might say something wrong and somebody else could correct a mistake. I want to be helpful in your case and generally. However, there is a larger issue, and I think that everybody as well as myself could use a reminder from time to time. These forums have their limitations, and there is a potential for misunderstanding. E-mail has an even greater potential for misunderstanding. Even if I felt myself to be an expert, which I don't, I wouldn't want to inadvertently play a role in an accident or equipment damage because I didn't understand a question or didn't word a response quite right or was simply wrong. Same should be true for everybody who participates here. These boards are so convenient and the information provided is so good that the boards may seem like better versions of dealer support and formal education programs, but they aren’t substitutes. There are risks in both using and supplying information here that should be recognized. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login