Go Bottom

Is a JD 770 too big for 5 acres and a lawn

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-29          28748

Posted by Webmaster for ?I have a line on a 770, and being a novice, I have a couple of questions. I will be using the tractorprimarily for mowing (approximatly 3.5 acres), moving snow, moving dirt and grading our driveway. I also planon getting a log splitter. Is this too much tractor, coworkers of my wife think so.ThanksYou Can Click Below to see the Message

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Dane
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-30          28763

Is there such a thing as too big??? If there is enough room in your yard to turn around then the tractor is not too big. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-30          28769

A 770 probably is a bit smaller than my Ford 1710 that I use on about the same area but over two properties. My wife things the 1710 is too big for the 1.75- acre property at our house but about right for our camp. She's right from her perspective, because I mow with a riding mower. It would take too long to maneuver the 1710 around buildings and bushes, and would leave too much trimming as well. However, the 1710 is about right for the rest of the work I do. I wouldn't want to put a backhoe on something much smaller. The 6' box scraper is about right for grading (smaller isn't as good for doing side-grades). I sometimes move heavy implements and pallets of building materials with a 3ph forklift. You can't take a pallet of cement blocks off a flatbed with anything much smaller. If you're planning to run a splitter from tractor hydraulics, pump capacity becomes an issue. A small tractor with a relatively small pump may not run a splitter at an acceptable speed. ....

View my Photos
Scott Amyx

2001-05-30          28775

Thanks for your help, I love this site. I have decided to go ahead with the 770, perhaps getting a smaller garden tractor in the future to do the closer trim work.
Thanks again.
Scott ....

View my Photos
BART

2001-06-12          29206

Scott,
I think you will be very happy with a 770. I have one and use it for everything. I have a five foot finish mower to mow the yard with. I also use a six foot bush hog, single bottom plow, five foot disc, seven foot rock rake, and so on. I can get so close with the finsish mower, i just have to do a little weeding with a trimmer. ....

View my Photos
vernonman

2002-01-10          34403

No, I use my 770 for the same things. Wouldn't have wanted anything smaller with this weeks 18" snowfall. THE bottom line, however, is resale value. How much will your large garden tractor be worth in 5 years? ....

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-01-28          35034

Bart:

I didn't know a JD 770 would handle a 6 foot bush hog. (I thought 5 ft was the max.) How is it working out for you (both in terms of weight/balance and mowing)? Are you able to mow heavier brush (e.g. 1" saplings) or are you mainly re-mowing meadows and etc. that have already been mowed in th erecent past (mostly grass/weeds, without many significant saplings)

View my Photos
steve arnold

2002-01-28          35035

no, just right. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-01-28          35037

I run a 6 footer behind my JD 950 (27 pto hp vs 20 pto hp for the 770). For remowing clean pasture, I can run in 2H with no problem. However, if I get into tall heavy green grass such as coastal or johnson grass over a foot tall, it begins to load up. I may have to drop as low as 3L to keep from lugging the engine, even 2L if it is too heavy. I doubt the 770 would mow that very well. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login