Go Bottom

Know nothing about tractors

View my Photos
Scott Brown
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-11          29154

I have horses and am about to retire. I just bought 12 acres of farmland with house and barns. I know nothing about tractors and am not at all mechanical, I just know horses and want to live in the country. I'll need to cut grass, plow snow, maintain a driveway, do some planting, manure spreading, and I'd like to build a quality outdoor arena. I can't afford any of the big three and through this site found out about Kioti. I can get a 35HP 4 wheel drive tractor with trailer, mower, rototiller,box blade,and front end loader for about $16,000 new.Will this do the job? Should I be considering something else? I'm concerned because there are no dealers within a couple of hundred miles of me, and I'm worried about maintenance.I realize how hopeless I must seem, but I'm hoping that someone can help me.The dealer will deliver the unit to my farm and teach me what I need to know to operate it so I'll at least have the basics down. By the way what is a box blade for? I know that I will be advised to spend the extra money to buy one of the big three but I really am cutting finances close with buying the new house and the Kioti and don't want to over extend myself. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Norm

2001-06-11          29164

Well, you're right. I'll try to convince you to buy one of the three and here is why. You say that you are not mechanically inclined and the Kioti dealer is 100 miles away? You should inquire as to how much they will charge to haul the unit every time you want something done. I would strongly suggest you check good used at a local dealer with good service: you just might find what you are looking for. You can spread the cost somewhat by spreading the purchase of the implements. Box blades are used for spreading and leveling material (dirt, gravel, etc.) ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-11          29169

I don't have any problem with the lesser-known brands....like the Kioti. But one of the reasons that they cost less is because you are taking some of the mechanical responsibility for yourself. As a long-time mechanical hobbyist, I think that is OK. In fact, it is part of the charm. But I would not recommend them to someone who does not enjoy doing their own tinkering. Most modern tractors are quite reliable. But all of them will need a bit of tinkering from time to time. The farther you get from the "top three", the more tinkering is required. I'd be looking at 4 to 6 year old Kubotas and JDs if I were you. Don't overlook the small farm utility size tractors such as the JD 5000 series. If it is barnyard work you will be doing rather than backyard work, the 5000 series might be a better buy. Get one with a loader, power steering, 4wd, and a box blade. Your back will thank you for putting some money into a reliable tractor.....plus a tractor is a darn sight cheaper than doctor bills. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-06-12          29171

Scott, have you checked into a JD 790? You can get a new 4wd tractor with loader for about $14,000. For another $2500, you should be able to shop around and pick up used rototiller, box blade and rotary cutter. I'd spend the $ on a tractor and save on used implements. Also in that price range I've seen larger gently used JD 5000 series and Kubota L series tractors. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-12          29175

Distance from the dealer is a consideration. I bought a used Ford to save some money. The dealer is over 200 miles away, and the hauling charge for some work last fall was about $250.00CAN. It wouldn't take too many trips to the dealer before my savings went to the trucking company, but I can do most of the work myself. Dealers can courier parts to you, and the charges are about the same whether it's the next town or the next county. However, oils, batteries etc. can't be couriered--at least around here. The nearest dealer of any kind is AGCO, and they're almost 100 miles. I use AGCO hydraulic oil and an automotive battery because it's just too far to drive to the NH dealer. The AGCO dealer claims to be able to work on Fords just fine, so I might give them a try next time. I think parts are an issue. The AGCO dealer said that they can order Ford parts just like anybody else. However, if parts tend to be back ordered, I'm guessing a shop might be reluctant to take on a tractor outside their own lines. They could end up with a bunch of torn down tractors sitting around waiting for parts. You might shop around at nearby dealers. Tell them what you're thinking about the Kioti and the size of your budget. Most dealers will come up with a package of their own within your budget so you can compare. A dealer should understand if their package isn't the best one for your particular needs and you might also find out how happy one of them would be to work on a Kioti. Knowing that a nearby shop would work on a Kioti could make a difference to your decision. Many dealers have mechanics that will come to your place and work on the tractor. However, travel time is paid and it's probably not feasible if the dealer is very far away. If you're keeping livestock, you may be getting hay delivered. It might be a good idea to make sure the tractor you buy will handle the bales. I believe the previous owner of my Ford (24hp) traded it in on a farm tractor because he started getting big bales delivered. The compact wouldn't handle them very well. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-12          29183

Jim, that's a good idea on the JD 790. There is a model of tractor that JD sells real close to the bone. Good reliable little machine. Nothing in the world wrong with a new tractor and used implements. ....

View my Photos
DCB

2001-06-13          29223

Scott,

I was in your situation 6 months ago... my wife and I bought a 10-acre farm. We have 1 acre for the homestead, 3 acres are pasture for our 2 horses, the remaining 6 acres will be used for apple, peach and apricot trees as well as pumpkins, corn and sooner or later a couple of bee hives. I looked first at buying a used tractor, went to several consignment auctions and bankruptcy sales and was not encouraged with what I saw. If I had the time and mechanical ability to rebuild/ restore I might have gone with a used tractor. Next I looked at "gray market" tractors... heard that there are some problems getting parts and service for this type of equipment so I stayed away from them. Lastly I went to three well-known dealers and looked at the Kabota L3000 and the John Deere 790 with a 60" bucket and a 5' rotary mower. Both machines are extremely similar in quality, hap, size, weight and capabilities but the JD was several thousand dollars cheaper ($15,250 for the package here in north west NJ) and JD offered a very attractive loan package at 8% interest over 5 years. The only stipulation JD had was that I take out an "inland marine" insurance policy on the tractor in the event that I try to plow the pond so the kids could ice skate and wind up sinking the tractor or roll it over by trying to mow a 45 degree slope I guess, the policy cost me a couple of hundred per year. I would agree with the previous posters that going with new is the best route to take - unless you are lucky enough to find a dealer with a clean, well maintained (ask if there are any maintenance records) used piece of equipment - from one of the "big three". As per the equipment... used, barn kept equipment should work for years I have seen quite a few pieces at the auctions and sales we went to this year. The 790 can handle a 60" rotary tiller, a single 16" bottom plow or even a double 12" bottom plow. Good luck! Doug

Go Top

Share This

Member Login