Go Bottom

choice of compact tractor

View my Photos
homebre973
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-07          30739

I have never owned a tractor but have borrowed a John Deere to bush-hog my field for a number of years. I have about 4 acres of broom sedge, blackberry and gum trees (less than 1 yr.old) that I have been mowing once/year. The land is relatively flat red N.C. slay. I wanted to buy a compact tractor with a front-end loader and bush-hog so I wouldn't have to boorow a tractor and so I could mow more often and move mulch, top soil, etc. I am looking for suggestions on the size and type of compact tractor I need. I have been reading about Kioti, Kubota, and John Deere. I also am not much good at working with engines, so I want one as trouble free and as inexpensive to buy and maintain, as possible. Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-07          30743

I think it is the safest bet to get a machine made in japan. No matter if you look at cars, trucks or tractors the record for reliability is better than anything else in the world. I bought a Deere 4100 for three main reasons. It is made in japan by Yanmar, It is 300 lbs heavier than a comparable Kabota (more traction you know....the only major drawback to a compact machine) and Deere Credit financed the whole deal for '0' down at a very resonable rate with no payment due for the first 6 weeks. ....

View my Photos
Bcalvin, Texas

2002-01-30          35077

I definitly agree the Japanese engines and workmanship on the small frame tractors are superior to anything else.
I highly recommend John Deere although they can be pricey the overall layout of their machines make a lot of cense and there customer service and parts networks are unsurpassed in the industry. After all that's what you are paying for......Try to go with a Deere ....

View my Photos
jeff r
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-17          41326

I'm a Kubota fan, not a dealer, and I have owned them ALL. Kubota has "0%" financing and tractor for tractor you will Save money on Kubota. Do NOT get a midmount mower AND a front end loader. The midmount mower WILL NOT give you the ground clearance and it is a PAIN in the butt to remove. GET A REAR FINISH MOWER.
A 4WD B7500 B2410 or B2710 is about what you need. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-08-17          41337

I have a Kioti tractor(made in korea).
And I have to say that Korea is right there with Japan when it comes to Quality and workmanship on compact tractors. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-08-17          41339

Ok Ok OK . Yes I am green dealer, but here's my two cents worth.

Get to know the different dealers in your area, talk to customers of each dealer, spend soem time on the seat of each brand you consider, get on and off them several times.

Like I said, I am a John Deere dealer, and I will attest that no matter what brand you mention, I can give you a list of people who would not buy that brand again for as many reasons as there are people. And I can also give you a list of people who love thier choice.

The point here is, talking about one brand or the other to a first time buyer on this forum is pretty much wasted time, I won't even try. ( although secretly I wish you would walk in my door!! however, I am trying to be objective here)

But, even the best tractor in the world will need parts or service sooner or later, so....spend some time checking things out for your self, you know yourself better than anyone, and you also know where your dealers are in your area.

I will say this, Try to stay with one of the big three, John Deere, Ford New Holland, or Kubota. These will give you the best resale value, parts availability, and they all have a good dealer network. They are all dependable, well desighned, and proven through the test of time.

I will warn you again, pick a color, and there is someone who hates it, or loves it, for thier own reasons.

Good luck!!!! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login