Go Bottom

International 340

View my Photos
homebre973
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-12          30901

A friend has offered to sell me a 1960's vintage International Utility tractor model 340 with about 1000 hours on it. Does anyone know the approximate value of this if its in good condition and has only a snow plow attachment. Is this considered a good, reliable tractor? I want it for field mowing and garden work. Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

International 340

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-13          30922

The tractor you are aquiring about is low houred for it's year. Depending on equipment; ie, power steering, three point hitch or two point hitch is a very good tractor for a lot of chores. Depending on contition price should be from 2500 and up. ....

International 340

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-08-13          30924

I don't know that particular model, IH340, but the 184 and 240 from that period were fine reliable tractors that were very simple in construction. They had 4 cylinder gasoline engines that just purred. Most of the equipment was optional, so you will see them without things we take for granted like 3pt hitches, 4wd, and even PTOs.
They don't really compare to today's compact tractors - which are more like miniature industrial machines - but there isn't a thing wrong with those old IH tractors for mowing and garden work. Just be sure that either you are pleased with the implements that it has now, or that it has a good standard 3 point hitch with about 500 lbs or better of lift. The universal 3 point is the basic part of the tractor that allows you to use any implement of any brand ever built. ....

International 340

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-13          30927

Roger, the normal hitch on those tractors was a 2 point hitch that is very easy to use if you have it and the right attachments. It will convert to three point hitch several ways. If you do convert to three point hitch be sure to buy equipment that is for 50 or 60 horsepower tractors. These little tractors have down pressure on there two point hitch and people have bent up there backblade and york rake frames from this. The PTO was in most I ever saw, it is 540 rpm and independent. There is a chance it does have three point hitch from the factory but I know in this area there are not many of them. The hitch lift capacity on this tractor is probably in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs or better. Repair wise the one piece that might fail or needs to checked is the Torque amplifier is so equiped. I doubt that there should be any troubles with it for the low hours but if not used right it can have premature failure. ....

International 340

View my Photos
homebre973

2001-08-21          31147

Well, I bought the the International 340 and a 5 ft. Tuffy mower. It has a 3 pt. hitch, power steering, snow plow (great for N.C. !!), and has been rewired for 12 volts. The only things that don't appear to work are the temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, and tachometer. Is it possible or worth replacing these? Will the fact that it now has a 12 volt battery be a problem?
Thanks ....

International 340

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-22          31170

You might check with a VOM to see if the gauge circuits are getting voltage. Could be that gauges are difficult in a 12V conversion and were simply disconnected. I think the tractor has a gas engine and therefore the tach could be electronic. There's a better chance that it's mechanical and relies on the electrics only for gauge lights. A mechanical tach has something that looks like a choke cable coming out the back and one should work unless the cable or drive is broken. The tachs themselves are fairly reliable. A cable/drive is fairly easy to check by removing the tach end. If the cable and drive are OK, the centre wire should not turn freely. Pulling on the centre wire may reveal a broken cable.. I'd avoid removing the engine end without a manual. It's theoretically possible for broken drive parts to be released and drop into the crankcase. For gauges, there would be various ways of creating a 6V feed from a 12V system, but perhaps there are plug-in replacement gauges and senders as well. Participants in Yesterday's Tractors Ford Forum have a lot of experience in 12V conversions. The address for the Farmall/IH forum is:
http://www.ytmag.com/farmall/wwwboard1.html

International 340

View my Photos
Art White

2001-08-22          31181

Late model 340's were 12 volt. As Tom stated the tach is a mechanical drive. Do to the age the part you might be looking at would be expensive and you might desire to buy some aftermarket gauges but, it would be a shame to not leave that tractor original for it's future value. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login