Go Bottom

Size really matters

View my Photos
Fred
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-18          32524

I need advise on tractor size. I have 70 acres in south, middle Tennessee,alot of logging roads,some steep,some not. About 30 acres of pasture are kept cut with a 5ft heavy duty bushog, currently on a Massey Ferguson Ind30. It's unsafe and too bulky for my needs. I'm thinking toward something in the compact line like I've read on this site, but i don't see much response from people with the same needs as mine. I do not do my own hay, however, I do purchase 4ft round bails and stack them in the barn. I'm not sure of their weight. I also go in the creek to keep bridge tiles clear and move gravel. I had a 51 8N which I was totally comfortable with but it didn't have a loader or 4 wheel drive. I am sure that I want 4wd. I'm hoping to be in the 13 to 15 thousand range. I hope no-ones laughing. Can anyone help. I have looked at the TC33,2910, and 790. Thanks, Fred

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Size really matters

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-19          32528

I would recommend a L-4300 Kubota with a loader. They have plenty of power and would replace every thing you mentioned and then some. The L-3000 would do fine to, and is a little less money. You definitly would want a gear drive for your work that you mentioned snd four wheel drive would be a major plus. ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Depdog

2001-10-19          32548

Hi Fred

I just purchased a used, 2000 mdl. JD790, 350 hours,4WD,FEL,ROPS,3 pt hitch tow bar and a new king kutter 5' woods mower for 12000. The 790 has performed wonderfully. I only have 10 acres which is mostly woods. I can get into tight places even with the FEL and the 4WD has proved a life saver in my swamps. I dont know how much a 4' roll weighs so cannot advise if the FEL will pick them up for stacking.The fuel consumption has been very low and I would say to stick with a diesel, just in case you thought differently.The 790 has good ground clearence for you stream,but I dont know how water tight the gear case and bearings are or where the vents are located. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

John ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Fred

2001-10-20          32554

John, I never even thought about the rear end or how it's sealed, thanks. Our creek is more wet whather than anything else. It's only about a foot deep normally, but I don't know how deep I'd go if I ever dug the tires down in the gravel. I stopped on the way to work to get a Kubota4300 brosure, but I have'nt got back into town to take a look at it yet. Do youhave to constantly shift the JD when your sing the FEL or do you have shuttle shift. I'm not real sure I want to shift constantly, but then again, I'm always having trouble with my forward gear popping out on my MF30, and it's a shuttle shift. I really liked how the hand controls on the NHTC33. Don't you wish you could take a little of each brand and put it all together. I'm going to keep looking and reading and I'll keep you all filled in. ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-20          32562

My recommendation would be the TC35 or TC40. A friend had the equivalent in Kentucky hills with 2 will drive. We pulled my 4x4 JD750 our once or twice with it. (the 750 was with turf tires).
The TC35 and TC40 have a very stable feel on slopes. I think they must have a low center of gravity.
I looked at one here in AL this year with 4x4 and I think it was around 18K new with FEL. You may be in the range in a 2 wheel drive.
With the loader it would be nice to have the 4x4 but not completely necessary. My neighbour lift bales all winter with a 2 wheel drive International. With the weight of a bale 500lb + it would be difficult to stack with most of the smaller tractors. I certainly would not with a 790 aka 750.
I would fill the tires to give you a little more stability and added weight in the rear.
The JD 790 does not have sealed wet brakes and it is a problem in a wet environment.
Peters ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Peters

2001-10-20          32563

I could get you in touch with my NH dealer here if your dealer does not want to dicker. He also handles Kubota and Case. I am ~ 3 hour south west.
Peters. ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Rick

2001-10-20          32566

try new holland again they just came out with a 30 hp 4x4 tc30 with loader and hydro under 15000.00 retail and of course the gear drive is less ....

Size really matters

View my Photos
Depdog

2001-10-21          32584

Hi Fred
I hope your information search is very productive. I have learned alot from questions that have been posted on the board and realize most of the answers come from experence. I think my shifting is of the regular type ( push clutch-shift gear)and have no problems, as thats all I have ever used. An automatic (HA-HA) would be nice.I did not understand your question on shifting and using the FEL. I may have to accelerate when digging ,but only when I want to push harder than the throttle setting. Tell me what you find out from the "brosure" you have on the kub.4300. To answer your question,"I sure wish I could pick the great options on each model/make and have it built" ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login