Go Bottom

How do you choose

View my Photos
TroyT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-08          37180

Hello,

I've been considering what size tractor to buy. I've kinda setteled on the Kubota line but I'm having trouble selecting the size.

I've got about 5ac some trees, some cleared. The planned use will be for landscaping, and little gardening. The lawn (if you can call it that) needs to be removed, filled in places and leveled. About 2 ac is loaded with black berries which need to be removed. Add to that damp, very rocky soil and at least 30 tree stumps and you've got a pretty good picture of the site.

My question is, how big is too big? I'm looking at the L3410, L3710 or the L4610. Cost aside (even though it is a consideration) The L4610 is only about 6 or 7 inchs larger in each direction than the L3x models. Given the larger lift capacity of the L4610 and the extra HP what would I be giving up by getting the L4610 (other than money) over one of the L3x machines? It seems that having a machine that can lift 2000lbs in the bucket and can run just about everything on the PTO offsets the 7 inches in the turning circle?

A list of the implements that I'm considering may also be helpful:

Brush cutter.
Box scraper.
Post hole digger.
Chipper/Shredder.
Tiller.
Finnish mower?
Stump grinder??

Thanks for your help!

Troy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How do you choose

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-04-08          37187

Troy, I'm normally an advocate of "get the biggest thing you can afford and still have room to maneuver", but you mention a finish mower, and the L4610 is going to be a pretty big and heavy tractor for a lawn. However, I guess if you get turf tires on it, it shouldn't do too much damage. And it would be a great tractor for getting the place in shape, and may be just fine even afterwards, but I would have to consider it a bit of overkill.LOL ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
GREENJEANS

2002-04-08          37189

No matter what size you buy, there will be a place it is too large to fit, and a rock larger than you can move. Let the wallet decide, and keep in mind that you can do alot of small jobs woth a big tractor, you can do some large jobs with a little tractor, but you never here anyone brag about how much they can't do. When trying to manuvure in tight quarters, if your tractor is too big, use the tractor to make the quarters bigger. But it takes a long time to slice a rock in half so you can moove it. ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2002-04-08          37195

I have an L3710 which I believe is the same physical size as the L4610. I lived on 5 acres with my L3710 for a year before moving to my present 30 acres. I feel that the L3710 is a little big for 5 acres. I'd lean toward the L3010 or L3410 particularly if you plan to use it for mowing. While it's true there are a few things the L4610 could do that the L3410 can't, there are also things you can't do with the L4610. I had a lot of trees and there were many places I just couldn't get the L3710 into. Just my $0.02. ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-09          37206

I figure that I got a tractor for the long haul, and I got a size that I thought would be best for the on-going work. I also figure there's always going to be jobs too big for any compact tractor and jobs too small as well.

My tractor takes the middle-sized jobs. I've still got a flock of small engine things simply because they do small tasks easier than I can with the tractor. I also think money spent for the guy with a dozer and tracked hi-hoe is well spent.

I don't think money would be well spent on a tractor large enough to handle the few heavy jobs that come up. Many heavy jobs occur the first several years of owing a place unless there are on-going ag operations. I figure that I would have spent a bunch on a tractor; been happy for a few years; and then notice that I spend a lot of time lumbering around on a machine that's really too big for most of the work to be done.

How do you choose

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-04-09          37207

My questions is what made you pick the Orange Machine over the Green or Blue? ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
TroyT

2002-04-09          37217

Thanks for all the good input. BeeFarmer - To answer your question why Orange? The final choice has not been made yet, once I determine the size I will then select the "Winner". But at this point I've no seen a clear leader as far as the specs go. Orange is better in one area Green in another, Blue in another. The general feeling here (and other boards) is that for a given HP they are all about the same. Which leaves cost per/HP and the quality of the dealer.

Looking at cost for a FWD/Hydro w/loader in the 45 hp range:
Green 4600 (43hp)- $26,000
Blue TC45 (45hp) - 23,500
Orange L4610 (47.8hp) - (25,200 - 1,400 rebate) = $23,800.

Dealer:
Orange - Was by for best during the information gathering process, easy going, not pushy. He questioned if I really needed a tractor that large, which we talked about for a bit.
Green - Seemed like a used car salesman. His tractor could do just about everything. I think that if I told him I wanted to jump the Grand Canyon the tractor, he would tell it could do it.
Blue - The salesman was helpful and easy going. But his dealership seems to be geared more toward construction equipment than compact tractors. They only had the 29hp models in stock, but they could get any thing I wanted. That fact alone made we wonder how helpful they would be after the sale.

I've also looked at and talked to may rental yards to see what they use, how well the units hold their resale value and what type of repair issues they have with them that kind of thing. Most rental yard out here (western Washington State) have Orange, and Green. I've never seen Blue at any rental yard. Not including the L35, B21 as they are in a different class, it's about even between Orange and Green. The general feeling is both Orange and Green are good machines and both hold their resale value well.

Two things I don't like about Orange are: The placement of the loader control, and the fact that Orange does not have a cup holder :{) - what's up with that? The loader contol on orange, hangs out there on a long rod where as Blue and Green loader controls are located closer to the operator seat.

Troy ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-04-09          37218

Thanks for your reply it was very detailed and very informative. I think one decision that I really have had to look at is that in the end having a good dealer available to take care of you is very important. ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-09          37226

Troy, try using the turning brakes on the Kubota Hydro. Also
you have to clutch to engage the PTO. Unless they have changed the design since the last time I saw one. Yes, I'm a Green fan.

David ....

How do you choose

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-04-10          37245

troy, i also looked for several months before deciding on my tractor. I looked at orange, blue and green, and i also found the attitude of the deere dealer to be somewhat snobbish, i felt that since i wasnt buying a 75 HP farming tractor, i was just wasting his time...i almost bought the blue (TC33D), i really liked the compact, smoothe design, but in my area they just dont hold the resale value of the orange , or for that matter the green ones. I looked at many, many used tractors and came to the decision that a used Kubota , less that 10 yrs old and less than 1000 hrs , still holds about 75% of new cost. As i seem to take above average care of my equipment and vehicles, i bought a larger tractor than i would probably need in the long run, but after i get my 20 acres cleaned up, i hope to be able to recoop some (if not most) of my initial cost when i decide to downgrade to a smaller size, but at this time i need the larger size to clear some of the land, build house pad, till up 1-2 acre garden, dig post holes for fences and tree planting...i didnt want to buy a smaller tractor and wear it out in a few yrs and not get anything for it when it was time to sell...
by the way, i decided on the L3410 HST /FEL/boxblade/tiller/6'rotary cutter/posthole digger..much like u, i can probably afford any tractor i wanted, but i also like to look for value in my equipment...just my .02worth ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login