Go Bottom

What to buy compact tractor

View my Photos
Richard Murden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-23          37746

I am looking for a compact tractor. I have 3 acres of flat land. I will mainly use it for mowing. I like the belly mowers. Does that mean i have to look for a midmount pto? 4wd would be nice also. Would i need 4wd if a wanted to add attachments? I am looking to spend about 7,500.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-24          37770

For mowing 3 flat acres, you'd probably be looking at a TC21 or TC18 in the New Holland line. Check the web link for details on these tractors. My understanding is that you need a mid-mount pto for the New Holland belly mower (also called mid-mount mower or MMM). However, I know that other companies (Woods, for example) made MMM's for other tractors that were driven from the rear pto. I've never seen one on a compact, would be interesting to see if anybody else knows for sure. One thing to keep in mind though, the MMM is about double the price of a 3-point hitch mounted mower. You probably don't need 4wd (I believe New Holland calls it "fwd") just for mowing on flat land, but you'll want it for other tasks, and if nothing else, for resale value. You'll be looking at used New Holland/Ford tractors in the 7,500 price range. You might be able to find a new one in that range in the Chinese imports, such as Kioti. Perhaps some others will reply with what size would be appropriate in a Kubota or JD.
Bill ....

Link:   New Holland Boomer line

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-24          37772

I don't have a mid-PTO, and one thing that convinced me to get a 3ph snow blower was the cost of a rear to front PTO kit. They exist but are very pricey.

Since I don't have a cutter of any kind, who am I to say? However, my impression is that a MMM makes a better finish cut and leaves less trimming than any 3ph mower. They are pricey and compromise other uses of a tractor. Some of the choice depends on how particular about a lawn a person is and how many buildings and landscaping must be maneuvered around.

I think of MMM's as going with lawns and 3ph mowers as going with fields. If I got a mower, it probably would be a light duty rotary cutter that would whack bush as well as grass. Around here we mostly make lawns to keep down the black flies and mosquitoes. A rotary cutter would work OK for our lawns as long as it didn't take up tilling here and there.

View my Photos
JimTN

2002-04-24          37796

For mowing 3 flat acres, a mid-mount mower is the best - particularly for a beginner. My son-in-law bought a Kubota B7300 HST with 60 inch mid-mount mower. He has used it for two years and likes it just fine for mowing his 4 acres. He acquired a single bottom plow and back blade. For his extensive gardening, he wishes for slightly more power.
My neighbor bought a Kubota BX2200HST with mid-mount mower and front loader. He likes his very well for mowing and using the loader to move landscaping materials around his house. The BX2200 is a teriffic mower for 3 to 4 acres, however it is limited in the 3 PH attachments which can be used.
New, all of these are above your stated budget but perhaps you can find a good used one that has been traded on a larger unit.
There are several good makes of equipment, and I suggest that you give much consideration to your local dealer and his service reputation. Even the best of equipment will sometime need parts and service. Any equipment (even the best) is worth very little when you are waiting for parts or service.
Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-27          37903

You will have difficulty getting a midmount and tractor for 7500 new or used. I have heard of deal like that there but they are rare.
Kioti (South Korean) was recently running specials on there smaller tractors where they supplied a 3pt finish mower free. The smallest tractor would be near that price in 2 wheel drive. The larger DK series tractors are as good as any, but the smaller ones are dated like some of the low end Kubotas. The dealer network for the Kiotis are just getting set up as a direct network so should improve. Kioti makes all the components for the tractors.
There are some chinese tractors in the price range but I don't think they are as well engineered.
The Mahindra are old IH from India and some parted tractors from South Korea. The smaller tractor may also fall into you price range. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-05-03          38111

I don't know a thing about a mid mount mower but it seems to me it would be time consuming to to hook and unhook? I use a JD 4600 with a Landpride 3pth to mow my 4 acre lawn. But, I use a 6ft hog in the pasture and LitterSaver in the poultry houses. So I'm changing implements quite often. If you're going to use this just for the lawn, I'd say the mid mount would probably be best for you. I don't have any complaints on the Landpride, none what so ever.

Billy ....

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-05-03          38112

I have a 60" 3ph finish mower on my Massey and for my lawn it works better for me than a MMM would because on the turns which are quite often I can just backup and cut what the mid mower would miss in the corners. If you have a straight cut and not a lot of trees to go around the MMM would work good. If you get the 3ph you have to be careful on the swing around that you dont hit anything with it. The first couple of times I mowed several small trees went to the great compost pile in the sky. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login