Go Bottom

Cheap Tractor for 5 acr horse pastures

View my Photos
dirty
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-02          41920

I currently have a 12 hp Sears lawn tractor that just bit the dust (finally). I now need to find a new tractor for my 5 acres, all cleared, horse pasture.

The old lawn tractor was grossly underpowered for my property. I was considering a cheap grey tractor (Yanmar, Iseki) instead of buying a top of the line Sears lawn tractor.

Besides cutting, I would also like to grate my dirt road.

I only have $3-4k max to spend, which limits my tractor selection. I just want to make sure I buy the right tractor for the job.

Also, I'm an old lawn tractor tech; I have small engine and tractor repair experience.

Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-02          41935

I have not seen much in that price range. When I was looking at grey market machines seems like they were in the $6000-$8000 range. And some of them did not have a modern three point hitch. Your price range might get you a 25-30 year old compact with 14 horses and a lot of hours on the clock.
Check out some of the new small Kubotas and Deeres. Right now a 0 down, $10,000 loan with kubota credit will cost under $200 a month. Good luck. Mark ....

View my Photos
JimP

2002-09-02          41936

Dirty - Not sure if you are looking for new or used, but by Mark's reply and your price range, looks like you will be shopping in the used grey market. I currently have a 1979 15HP (13HP at PTO) Bolens Iseki 2-cyl G152 Diesel for sale. Bolens imported these tractors starting in 1978 from Iseki in Japan. Unsure of the hours as the 2-cyl models didn't have an hour meter. Tractor is complete with operational 3-point hitch, starts right up and runs good. Sheet metal is straight with some minor surface rust is the expected places for a tractor of this age. Comes with front PTO and 48" belly mower as options. Asking $2500 firm. I'm located in Mid Hudson Valley (Eastern) NY State. I also have access to original hydraulic lift kit, plow/grader blade and 42" single stage snowthrower for an additional cost. Contact me by e-mail (jmperlik@yahoo.com) for more info. ....

View my Photos
doctor

2003-04-12          53019

Dirty, good luck with your shopping. I was in your shoes two years ago and decided to get a "cheap" Cubby heavy lawn tractor. My 4 acre horse pasture seldom received the full treatment because all the wheels were too small to navigate the holes in the dirt. Not to mention the sore bottom after an hour of cutting. This year I bit the bullet and got a 70's era Yanmar 1510 under 20hp diesel with a front end loader and 5 fot brush cutter on the back. The whole deal cost me about 5800 but I think it will do the job. I haven't really put it to the test yet since it's kind of sloppy here in central Pennsylvania yet. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-12          53033

dirty; Me thinks an old Farmall H or similiar old farm tractor with a pull behind 6' Rotary cutter would do ya.

For your drive, Since you mentioned your repair ability, You could build a big drag behind plow/scrapper a couple of runners/skids and a cutter blade between them Bolted in with angle iron with several holes to adjust depth of cut...End of drive a couple of small skids to manually raise up out of cut.

Of course you might just find a old tractor with a 2 or 3 point hitch.

Bet you could get out of the whole deal for less than 2500 and some time.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-04-14          53119

In that price range I'd look for an older ag-utility tractor of around 30-40 horse or so. ....

View my Photos
mikefitts

2003-05-22          55330

I bought a Yanmar 1700 (20 h.p.) new 4' bush hog, new 4' box blade, and a new tandem axle trailir for $4,400. I LOVE it! I'll never own anything else! ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-05-22          55335

As stated before look at the 60's and 70's vintage utility tractors in the 30-40 hp range. I recently bought a 40 hp PTO IH 2444/444 with a factory heavy duty loader with seperate front mounted pump(fast and powerful), adjustable rear counterweight, loaded rear tires, 3 remotes, diff lock, cat 1 3 point, 3 of the tires are new,position and draft control, foot throttle. bare tractor weight 3800 lbs, as equipped 6,600 lbs or more. This tractor is in great shape with only 2000 hrs on it. The price was 4K. The 44's and similiar run around 3 k or so without the loader. The MF 135 is also a good choice.
Good luck.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-22          55344

old ford 8 and 9n's can be picked up everyware for about that price .and most seem to come with cutters on them. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-23          55398

A neighbour is selling his '51 Case Model S for 3,200$CDN. It is located about 3 hours west of Ottawa, Canada.

A picture is on the link below. Use the e-mail link if interested and I pass contact info along to the owner. I would check parts availability in your area first though. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55637

When I started looking I was in the same boat. I looked at a lot of greys. For my own reasons I decided against that. In your price range I same mid 80's masseys and alice chalmers that were good buys. But for the money I just went new although I did spend a few thousand more. Good luck, part of the fun is shopping ! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-26          55687

I would suggest a old used Kubota G5200. Nice little diesel lawn tractor will do a good job. A friend has one and he loves it. He is a John Deere salesman and sold his John Deere lawn tractor he liked it so much. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-27          55703

Chief has a good idea, maybe you could add the Kubota TG1860G to that list. There is a brief article about this one in this months hobby farmer. The LIST price is $6,400 but Kubta has 0% financeing right now for 36 months. You might also take a peek at www.Kiotitractor.com That new CK20 is a sweet looking machine. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-05-28          55844

dirty -
Bearing in mind your desire to keep your finances in check, you may want to consider checking out such places as the "Bargain News", or "Machinery Trader", etc. Just saw a B4200 Kubota,1994, with extras for about what your looking to spend. Not a big burly machine, however very dependable, diesel, with 3pt hitch and 4wd. - FYI

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
Maynard

2003-05-29          55845

I can understand the rational of being on a budget but does anyone remember the old Fram Oil filter commercial where the mechanic standing in front of a car which appeared that he just replaced the engine, says, "you can pay me now or you can pay me later"?
My point being is that buying a tractor on a limited budget may not be the best approach. You may end up with an anchor around your neck that won't do the job that's intended to do plus you may not get your money back when you sell it. I just upgraded from a JD 750 4x4 to a JD 4210 4x4 because the 750 just strained when I used the box scraper over the river rock property I have. The 4210 easily breaks the ground and rocks loose so now, I'll buy a tooth bar or cutting edge to mount on the loader to scoop up the rocks. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-29          55859

You may want to check eBay as well as there are occasionally some great deals there. Also you might try the autotrader dot com. just follow the links to equipment and search your state. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login