Go Bottom

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
lynnmll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-14          42381

I have 10 acres to mow that is flat and no trees. I can't make up my mind on which tractor to purchase. The BX2200 fit's my budget better but I would like to make this the correct purchase.

I have also looked at the spec's sheet for the JD 2210 but have not seen one.

Or should I consider a Larger tractor?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-14          42382

From what I have heard you are not likely to see a 2210 anytime soon. ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-14          42386

With 10 acres to mow I would go bigger at least 72" ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-14          42392

I would be considering a larger tractor. With flat ground there are a number of options on new equipment that are similar price range but much larger HP tractors. The JD 790, the NH TC-30, the MF-1240 and the Kioti DK-35 are all in that price range, but lack the bells and whistles of the more modern machines. Well, the DK-35 has all the bells and whistles but is a Korean. ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
lynnmll

2002-09-14          42393

I should have also stated that this property will have within one year a parking lot for approx. 100 cars and 1-2 buildings that will have approx. 10k sq ft each. This property belongs to a church and I'm sure they will demand a nice looking lawn. At some time in the future a baseball field will be located on this property. So, yes I'm looking for a tractor now,but with this in mind what size do I need? ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-14          42395

Are you going to plow snow too? ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
lynnmll

2002-09-15          42400

No, living near Ft. Worth, Tx I can't ever see a need to use a snow plow.

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-15          42401

I figure about 3.5 hours to mow with a 6' mower at 4mph ground speed and not including time for row overlap or turnaround. A square 10-acres would take about 110 6' passes of 658'in length. Hope this helps put the idea in perspective, and hope my arithmetic is right. I'm not sure how realistic an average 4mph is for mowing speed.

I don't know how much time is available to do the work, but I think that a single tractor that would do a very good job of maintaining the finished grounds may take quite a bit of time to do the mowing. Generally, small and maneuverable is good for finish mowing of lawns and around buildings and landscaping. Larger tractors leave more trimming and sometimes it's best to keep a heavy tractor off lawns after a rain.

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
lynnmll

2002-09-15          42402

TomG,
How are you figuring the path to take for the fastest mowing time? Are you going up and down cutting it up in 2 or 3 blocks?
I have mowed it with a 5 brush hog in about 5-5.5 hours. This was at a speed of about 4-5 miles per hour. My main consern is not now but later when things start to be built. I have been renting a tractor with a bush hog to mow it when needed. ....

BX2200 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-15          42408

Lynn: I just converted 10-acres into a square plot and figured the time to drive 6' strips @ 4-mph. Overlap and turnaround adds time onto this sort of crude estimate, and minimizing turnaround is something I've gotten much better at with a bit of experience..

Generally, I go around the perimeter until I have enough space swing wide and mow end to end. If I keep going around the perimeter I end up with very short rows in the centre and then have to turn around more often. When I first started grading and snow-blowing drives I found myself doing one pass and then backing up all the way to start another. I remember thinking ‘boy this isn't too smart, I'm driving a lot while the tractor isn't doing any work.' I figured out how to cut out turnaround places for myself. I think that coming up with patterns for working areas is almost an art form and most people eventually come up with what works best for them. It is something to think about though.

I finish mow about 2-acres over two properties. Each are cut up by buildings and landscaping and break down into a fair number of irregular plots for mowing. My 1710 probably weight over 3,000 lbs. with fuel, an empty loader and me. Even with turf tires my wife comments about the tracks if I drive on the lawn much. I also have to avoid tight turns even in 2wd and when it's fairly dry or the front wheels will tear the turf.

In practice, I mow with a 36" riding mower and don't have a mower of any kind for the tractor. The riding mower certainly is easier on the lawn and probably is faster than the tractor would be since it doesn't leave near as much trimming to do. Trailering the riding mower to our camp is much easier than driving the tractor 10 miles on the highway too.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login