Go Bottom

Lawn Tractor Garden Tractor Compact or

View my Photos
code3mmc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-21          42750

I recently purchased 2 acres of land in Southern Indiana. The land was used as an active farm until last year, was last planted with alfalfa grass but I was told it had soybeans growing at an earlier time. It is flat and has no trees or obstructions but it is very uneven and rough surfaced. I have been reading this and other forums for information on what type and size of tractor to buy. I don't think a "lawn tractor" will hold up on this type of terrain very long...I am thinking a 16hp + garden tractor or even a used compact might suffice?? I plan to build a pole barn and modular house on the land within the year, and I'd like to use the tractor for mowing, tilling, and maybe even some light snow removal duty. Budget is rather tight, probably have to look in the under $5000 range.

There are dealers for all of the "Big 3" within easy driving distance, plus an independent dealer that sells Mahindra, Belarus, Kioti, Husqvarna and who knows what else only about 6 miles away. I hear Belarus is junk....anyone know about Mahindra small tractors?? Or would a "compact" be overkill for 2 acres ??

Whatever I buy, it will have to last at least 10 years. Reliability is more of a criteria to me than features at this point. I will consider used equipment if it's in good shape and in my price range.

Any suggestions ???
Also, does anyone have any comments on the equipment dealers in the Louisville, Kentucky / southern Indiana area?
(Feel free to email me privately on this one if you like)

Thanks,

Mike in Marysville, Indiana 47141

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-09-21          42754

Good luck in finding a compact tractor for under $5000. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-22          42765

I think $5000 may not be enough budget to get a compact plus implements and reliability too. Going bigger, an older utility tractor might be less expensive, but parts and reliability might be wanting. New grays might be in the budget but again parts, reliability and service may not be there. However, if there's time to shop around and look for private sales in local papers, who knows what might turn up.

One alternative might be to pay a local farmer to get rid or the alfalfa, level out the field and plant an easier grass to mow. We finish mow a total of around 2 acres with a 12hp-riding mower and till two moderate sized gardens with a small walk-behind. One neighbour clears snow with a big walk behind and several others clear with a blower on riding mowers. I think it takes an 18 hp riding mower before a blower is very effective or even available.

I have a 24hp compact for a little less than 4 acres but I had some heavier duty ideas than mentioned here. It's not over-kill for what I do, but the main reason we do finish mow with the riding mower is that compact would take too long to maneuver around buildings landscaping etc.

Well, I suppose I do have to keep in mind that the mower belt may have been a bit loose due to my neglect, but my wife did recently burn up the belt mowing the patches of wild flowers that she leaves in the lawn until they're done flowering. Mowing mature meadow is a little much for the riding mower. One thing about mowing is that if you do it frequently, what grows get more grassy and easier to mow. If the ground isn't too uneven, another alternative is to get a neighbour to mow it a few times and then take over with a riding mower. It will take time, but most of these tractor choices are matters of trading off size and money with time. Most tractors do pretty much the same jobs. Small ones just take longer unless maneuvering is required, then they may be faster. ....

View my Photos
JonB

2002-09-23          42797

I use a JD4100 on 2 acres, fielding mowing, orchard, tilling a garden, and it's the size perfect for my uses. Working with clay, drilling, and loader work makes a garden tractor too light for me. The compact tractor saves me an enormous amount of time. On the other hand, if I couldn't afford a compact, I'd get a garden tractor. Another option, as TomG suggested, is to pay a farmer to level, or rent equipment until you can get the small compact. For a 2 acre farm, I think the small compact is a perfect fit. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-23          42807

Can you afford $180.00 a month? At tractorsmart.com you can get a BX1800 and a 54" mower($8800)and a front blade ($750-800)for about $9500. Even cheaper with a rear blade or a box scraper.
You can get '0' down with Kubota Credit, 60 months @ 4.99 percent is $180 a month. You can mow, push snow and dirt, and have years of reliabliity. It is real darn easy to spend more than $180 a mnoth on rental equiptment. My two cents.MH ....

View my Photos
code3mmc

2002-09-23          42833

Over the weekend, a different opportunity presented itself... 1954 Ford NAA tractor with a rebuilt transmission, new paint, new tires all around, and recent tune up and water pump...comes with 60" bush hog, rear box grader, never used front blade, and a rusty but probably workable mid-mount plow. Seller is only the second owner, has all manuals and receipts for repair work he's done plus back to about 1980. Price: $3850 or best offer. It runs well and he uses it to mow grass on 3 1/2 acres. This might be overkill for 2 acres, but it appears to be in decent shape and besides, it's a "cool old tractor" as my little nephew said. ;)

Ideas, anyone ? Is this a fair price for a NAA ?? (I know this isn't the Ford forum but what the heck).

-Mike ....

View my Photos
JonB

2002-09-24          42843

Code3, I know little about older tractors. Rumors are they can be great and last forever. I opted for a new model, at increased cost, for safety reasons. Newer models have roll bars, seat belts, and 4WD. If you leave (fall out of) the seat, the PTO and engine automatically shut off--keeping you from getting mulched by the mower. Be sure to read up on the dangers of tractor operation and make sure you're up to the challenges of older tractors. Here's a link to a tractor information site. I recommend the information on safety. That said, lots of owners love their old tractors. Best of luck. ....

Link:   The small tractor - FAQ

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-24          42852

Sounds like it might be a deal. I think NAA's probably have live hydraulics but not live PTO. For mowing, if it doesn't have a PTO over-running clutch, an external one can be bought. It probably doesn't have PS so the steering would be hard if it has a loader. If it has a loader, the hydraulic pump is small so hydraulic operations are slow compared to newer tractors (but front or PTO pumps can be fitted).

Hope you can see from this that there are a few things to know about older tractors. In addition, I believe that NH no longer has parts for pre-62 Fords in their parts system. Dealers may know after-market parts sources, and net-based companies (TPI) seem to be starting up that specialize in older tractor parts.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-24          42857

I think Tom is saying there may be other costs associated with upgrading even a well maintained older machine to get it to the standards of performance you desire. Adding up those modiffications will give you a truer picture of the total cost. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-19          98755

<<

<<
I have a 24hp compact for a little less than 4 acres but I had some heavier duty ideas than mentioned here. It's not over-kill for what I do, but the main reason we do finish mow with the riding mower is that compact would take too long to maneuver around buildings landscaping etc.
TomG
]***************[/
>>I mow with my wards 46'' mower in the tight areas and the bx 23 in the larger open areas.By using both I can mow quicker than i could with the wards riding tractor.

>>

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-10-19          98772

If you can afford one machine, get a machine that can do it all. As DRankin pointed out with $5000 down I think your payments would be under $180 with a compact and all the implements you would need. And just one machine
It appears you have the exact same needs I had. I have 2 acres that were bone shakingly rough. For me it was a timing thing when I bought my new garden tractor (Cub 3204)
and about a month later totally stumbled on a almost new JD 4100. Its enjoyable as heck to be able to use either one for the task at hand on the fly, the Cub is the mower and snow thrower. The deere is the FEL, Tiller, and a lot more.
But you can do it all on one machine ! I would say no bigger than a 4115 type(4110 might be the biggest) and no smaller than a Bx23. You find the machine within that range for the price you can afford. If I had the opportunity to plan it correctly, I would do it with one machine and you can. Think about not having two engines, space in the garage, attachments, maintenence, etc..
I aslo wouldnt rule out used machines, as in my case got it for a nice price. They are out there, just keep looking

Ducati ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-19          98774

I made the mistake several years ago in the same situation you are in. I mentally set a budget, and made my decision to but a large "garden class" tractor instead of a CUT. It turned out to be a very expensive lesson. Within two years, I was trying to move up to a CUT and found out how hard it was to get a good trade-in on a tractor that didn't have a good resale value.

Cost can be a deceiving concept. You need to seriously think about what you need to, and want to, do with the tractor. Then find out what tractors best fit your needs. Look at the different purchase options; used, financing, ect., and for sure consider the value the tractor will hold. Don't buy a garden tractor based on your present budget. I lost over $3000 in two years trading in an excellent garden tractor. The market wasn't there to support a reasonable trade to a CUT when I realized the mistake.

Base your decision on need and overall cost. You won;t be sorry. Tractors are a lot like boats. They seem to shrink the more you use them. Have fun. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-20          98881

1*Its enjoyable as heck to be able to use either one for the task at hand on the fly, the Cub is the mower and snow thrower. The Deere is the FEL, Tiller, and a lot more.

2*I would do it with one machine and you can. Think about not having two engines, space in the garage, attachments, maintenance, etc..
Ducati
===================
1*I have a wards 46" cut riding lawn tractor I use in the tighter places for the BX23 to get into. I also use it for towing a small lawn trailer which saves me from having to remove the Hoe from the bx23 to pull the trailer.
I have a Bolens garden tractor with a front blade and a tiller mounted on the rear.
By having the wards unit; again I don't have to remove the tiller off the Bolens to pull the trailer.

2*The way I'm set up with the Wards and Bolins tractors They can do many of the smaller task and it allows me to leave the FEL & Hoe on the BX23.
It's quite handy to get right on the job with out having to keep switching implements.
Space in the garage isn't an issue for me as I have 2 garages. One is a 4 stall and the other is a 6 stall garage. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-10-21          98929

lbrown59

I think I was also trying to keep in mind the gentlemens
budget as well..As for me I have yet to meet a budget
that I didnt exceed :) :) I feel I dont have enough engines to maintain already:) love those winterizations!

Ducati ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login