Go Bottom

How much hp

View my Photos
Illini
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-09          48924

Hi
We own ten acres and I want a tractor. The land is not flat. There's a steep hill in the pasture which is about 7 acres. There is a pit that takes up about two acres that they use to haul sand out of. We have plenty of outbuildings(barn, garage, hog shed, 2 sheds and chicken house). I would use a tractor to mow the pasture. It is very rough. Also, plow snow, clean manure out of barn, work on trees that need to be cut up, and it would come in handy for fixing up buildings and other odd jobs. My dad farms and whenever we need a tractor for something we always go to him. The one that usually gets brought over is a Duetx Allis 6260 of about 60 hp. Sometimes he has the mower on the AC 7080(That's way to big).
How much hp do you recomend?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

How much hp

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-09          48940

For the field you need about 25-27 hp PTO for a 6ft Bush hog. If the field is rough you need something that is built quite stout, you can easily damage the front end if it is too light.
I would recommend something like a NH TD-30, 35 or 40, Kioti DK-35-45 that has the weight to mow with the larger brush cutter.
Peters ....

How much hp

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-10          48977

I agree with Peters. I run a 6' cutter on 27 PTO hp. I have 24 acres but only mow about 8 or so. I can run in 3H (3rd/high) mowing open pasture if I keep it mowed. If I let it grow up too much, I have to slow down to 2H, or maybe even 1H if I let it go too long and it is really heavy and green. ....

How much hp

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-02-17          49419

If your land is that much on the rough side,I'd look for a utility tractor instead of a CUT. The new Mahindra "00" series with mfd are nice tractors. They are built heavier all the way around vs. the compacts. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login