Go Bottom

Tractor Recommendation for Market Garden

View my Photos
Otis
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-17          49432

I just discovered this web site and found the information quite helpful. However I haven't found any questions similar to my situation. I'm looking for recommendations for tractors and implements.

I recently purchased 20 acres of gently rolling farmland (no slope greater than 5%). The soil is silty loam and has been farmed forever. I plan to have a 5 acre "market garden" growing veggies on raised beds. Another portion of the property will have indoor and outdoor riding arenas and horse stalls. There is a 2-3 acre pasture for the horses. The rest will be planted in fruit trees, canes and bushes.

My main uses for the tractor will be: 1 - preparing the soil for the veggie garden, 2 - cutting and turning under cover crops 3 - leveling the arena footing and 4 - hauling manure and turning compost.

Any suggestions on what I should look at for a tractor and implements?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-02-18          49438

Well........you'll find two different schools of thought on this application of your's. Myself,I'd say go a utility tractor not a compact. The utility will be heavier built and hold up longer under more demanding tasks,and handle larger equipment. Something like the new Mahindra "00" series would fit your bill probably quite nicely. Or if you want something a little smaller the "C" series is what to look at.

If you must go with a CUT for some reason,do not sell the Korean offerings short. Most times they are on par with the majors Japanese designed models,but at a lower price. The Korean's also seem to be heavier than the others. Mahindra,Century/Branson,Kioti,Long all sell good tractors.

No matter which one you choose,drive all of them that you can,for as long as possible to get a good idea of the tractor. ....

Link:   Mahindra US site

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-18          49443

I don't know the size of the raised beds, how they'd be constructed or if the tractor is going to work on top of them. If a tractor is going to be on them, weight of the tractor and its maneuverability might be issues. Implements with off-set features might be very good. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-18          49448

Yes, the Mahindras are a great, but so are the Eicher series of tractors. Having worked a market garden of about 20 acres, (its like farming 100 acres of any thing else) I would suggest somehting in the 50 hp range. Take a look at an Eicher Tractor. They are from India just like Mahindra and is the fastest growing Indian Tractor company out there. One feature of the Eicher is that they have spur reduction gears for final drives.( a.k.a. Bull Gears). This allows greater ground clearance under the belly of tractor for use in beds. Their ability to spread to 72 inches will also accomodate wider beds and usually allow for working ovewr two beds at a time. The model 485 is 51 HP and list price is 13,400. Make your best deal. ....

Link:   Eicher Tractors

View my Photos
Otis

2003-02-18          49450

Thanks for the replies so far. They are quite helpful.

Just to clarify a little bit. I plan to have 100x4 foot raised beds. I'm not sure how to make the beds; I've seen web sites that sell "raised bed makers" but most seem to be for huge farm operations. So any thoughts on bed makers would be helpful.

I'd hope the tractor has enough ground clearance and wheelbase to ride over the beds without being on them i.e. the wheels ride in the paths between the beds. I can adjust my thinking on bed size based on the tractor...

Thanks again for the help! ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-18          49455

The old B&B tobacco bedders had a great 3 disk blade system. You can usually find them at auctions for a couple hundred dollars. Also there are several inexpensive ones around. I would suggest 36" beds to achieve the best fit for standard implements and land use maximization. Especially if hand harvesting is to be utilized. 4 foot beds are hard to reach across and makes for back breaking work. Trust me I have tried it. Even 24 inch beds are better at being able to hand harvest. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-19          49494

Well, this sounds like a pretty interesting subject and one where I have no experience. Living on the Canadian Shield as I do, we've got trees and more trees. There isn't enough soil to think about piling it up, and some of the more attended rumors are that somebody has a new source of topsoil.

It does sound like a tall wide tractor is needed, and therefore maybe not a compact. My only thought at the moment is that 4wd tractor front wheel widths aren't adjustable like most 2wd tractors. A 4wd tractor would likely dictate the bed widths and then another tractor may not be able to work the beds.

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-03-21          51578

The front tread width is adjustable on mfd utility tractors. You might not have as many choices as a 2wd,but you do have some. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login