Go Bottom

Garden Compact or small Ag tractor

View my Photos
code3mmc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-08          50769

Here is my dilemma: I have 2 acres of flat but unimproved land that I plan to build a fence, pole barn, and 1500 square foot modular house on this year. I have considered a Cub Cadet 3200 series garden tractor or the new JD G100 garden tractors for mowing, using a tiller, and a front blade plus pulling a dump cart. However, the thought crossed my mind that I could probably get a good used Kubota BX with a FEL, backhoe and a belly mower plus a box grader to add some flexibility and also maybe do my own land grading, spreading gravel/dirt, digging post holes, etc. A friend who has extensive experience as a tractor mechanic recently recommended taking a look at older Ford 2000 / 3000 series small Ag tractors, or the older Massey Ferguson 135/150 series or even the new Mahindra 3505 series tractors. My price range is around $8000 max, which I know won't even touch a used Kubota BX....so my dilemma is do I just say screw it, buy the "garden" tractor and contract out all the other stuff or go with a bigger machine that can do multiple jobs ??

And one last stupid question, can a Kubota BX series use a PTO-driven post-hole digger ??? ( Okay, I admit I'm a city boy who is about to move to the country ;)

Finally, any advice on the tractor dealers in the southern indiana area (I'm specifically interested in experiences with Jacobi Sales, Ray's Lawn & Garden, and Deb-Rae Inc.)
???

Thanks, MIke in Marysville, Indiana 47141

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jyoutz

2003-03-08          50770

You will find a small older AG tractor to be too large for your property and not versatile enough. Go the small compact tractor route. I think that you can get a new BX 1500 with mowing deck for about $1.2 K more than you want to spend (and there are good factory financing deals). Then you could always add a loader and implements as you can afford them. Or you can sometimes find good used compacts in that price range. Just get 4 wd whatever you do. And stay with brands that have local dealer support. My $0.02 ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-08          50776

Mike, before the compact's came along we used Farmall "H"'s Ford "8N's", they were in the 30hp. range to do smaller farm chores, they were great tractors, but the compacts with four wheel drive in the same hp. range will out manuver them in tight spots plus have a lot of creature comforts the older ones did'nt offer. If you're going to do your own landscaping, etc. you can afford the used compact. I don't think I've really heard of a compact that had good matinence that has been totaly worn out from ordinary use so would'nt be afraid of a used unit, I really think they have a lot more hours in tham than we realize. I would however stick with a major brand and a local dealer. One last point, don't even consider a tractor without 4 wheel drive, or you'll be right back to the "H" Farmall and "8N' Ford, "stuck all the time." ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-09          50796

With your jobs in mind, I think I'd stick close to the 24hp range. A smaller one might not be adequate for some of the building ideas and might take longer than desirable for others. True enough that a 24 hp tractor on 2-acres can seem like a bull in a pen and heavier tractors aren't great for finish mowing but they will do a better job at getting the work done when it's needed.

In the country, sometimes the work needs to be done when a contractor is available. If somebody says they can come at a certain time that's often the only alternative and the next time may be a month later. If you can't get the preparation done in time it can delay projects for months.

Some jobs may be seriously limited by having a small tractor. Pole barn construction is an example. I think 4' 12" holes are adequate for many structures but 5' 14" holes are better. Mark identified an auger for a BX but its depth was limited to 3' without extensions. I forget if it could take a 12" bit. Another example is trenching. Electrical codes may require 4' trenches, and well lines are deeper in some areas. A small tractor may not manage a hoe that's big enough to do the work. Maybe material handling is another example. Materials that are delivered on pallets can be too heavy for a small tractor. Taking pallets apart and moving the material piece by piece while a tractor is sitting around isn't very satisfying.

Despite all the bigger tractor stuff, I'd keep in mind that construction usually takes only a couple of years and then there can be an over-sized tractor left lumbering around the yard for decades. We ended up keeping a riding mower for finish mowing because it's faster than maneuvering the tractor around bushes and buildings, but the tractor is the right size for most other work.

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-03-10          50897

Well......usually I'm the one saying go for the Utility tractor over the CUT. But this time I think I'll switch,and say look for a CUT to fit your land size. Seeing as how you are limited in $$$$ I'd look for a good clean gray market tractor. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-10          50909

Woodbeef,you used the term "Gray Market Tractor", sometimes I can be a little thick in the shell, and probably should know, but what the heck is a gray market tractor? ....

View my Photos
Woodbeef

2003-03-10          50917

Technically a "Gray" is a tractor that was not intended to be sold in North America,but has been imported here as a used tractor. Iseki,Yanmar,Hinomoto,Shibaura,etc are all gray market tractors. Most are also sold badge-engineered by a major brand here in N.A. There are some models to stay away from,but most are just as good as is sold by the majors at a much lower price. Email me for more info.I can not post the link I wanted to for you,it will not allow me to do it. ....

View my Photos
workingonit

2004-03-09          79334

looking for that gray-market link from woodbeef
paul blah blah
dot blah blah
alberts blah blah
dot blah blah
springnet1 blah blah
dot blah blah
com blah blah
remove blah's for email, thanks ....

View my Photos
YanmarMarv

2004-03-09          79343

Mike,
I have a very nice compact tractor with 24hp.4 wheel drive & a new Koyker loader in your price range. give me a call at 989-269-8849
Marv ....

View my Photos
fella575

2004-03-15          79974

Hey Mike. Just made the mistake you are thinking about. Bought a GT 245 with 54" mower and 42" snow blower in August. Just traded it in today for a JD 4010 54"mmm& FEL. I too thought the compacts were to much $$$ last summer. But after a aggravating winter of getting stuck and tasting snow from the blower I opted to trade and upgrade. For the amount you are going to spend on a garden tractor UPGRADE to a compact. Even if it a bit old or used they still can mow the lawn with ease and take on many other chores on your property!!!

I lost about $2500-3000 having to trade in my garden tractor. it was a great tractor ( 20hp gas) but is meant more for paved driveways on estate lots. In hind sight I wish I would have spend the dough in the first place! Expensive lesson to learn!

Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-15          79977

I have to agree with the fella. I just went through a brutal experience getting rid of a garden tractor for a CUT. The garden size tractor was far too limited for landscaping tasks. Although I was able to find some post hole diggers that would fit the machine, it was very limited in selection and use. The 3-point arms are just too short to get the lift you need, and I got very concerned about the torque it would put on a small framed machine.

Had a FEL on the tractor. Couldn't get a full bucket of anything from a pile. It did the job, but was tough on me and the machine. The FEL was better used as a wheel barrow than a loader. I lost considerable $'s trying to improve the garden tractor to do what a CUT would easily do. Expensive lesson I would recommend anyone avoid having to learn on their own.

Get a diesel. The difference in fuel consumption alone will pay for itself. The 25hp gas garden tractor would use 6 gallons of fuel in less than two hours. I get twice that out of my 30hp diesel.

I could go on for a while. Get a CUT, 7610 or 2410 Kubota, or 4110 or 4115 Deere. You won't be sorry even if you eventually want to sell. There is much more of a market for these machines than there is for a garden tractor. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-15          79997

Looks like a good home for a BX23 with deck! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-03-20          80513

Code3: If you are looking for an older Ford 2000---my buddy has one. We are located just north of Monroe, MI southwest of Detroit. It has a factory loader, Ford-brand 8' scraper blade and a King Cutter 6' York rake. It has large turf tires on the rear. No ROPS though. The loader pump (located out front of the radiator) just went out a few months ago went out (makes a lot of noise)--cost for new pump $300-$400. Runs good, doesn't burn oil or smoke. Was owned by a local college. Can deliver if need be (but you should look at it first) $4000 takes all (plus delivery). Call me anytime at 734 782-2125 Sorry no pix available. ....

View my Photos
johnfundy

2004-04-20          83748

I was in the same boat a while back. I have 3 acres with the same type of work that you need done. In my opinion, todays "garden tractors" are not up to tilling unless you spend around $5K. Tilling is tough on a tractor-I own a 1972 Bolens large frame garden tractor, a true beast, and it barely operated the tiller. it's not so much horsepower as it is frame size, structural rigidity and tractor weight. For around $6K you can easily find a nice older Kubota B series tractor with 60" mmm. Then add a tiller for about $1k and you have a work ready rig that will run rings around a "garden tractor". I looked at the Cub 3000 series, and while they are nice, you have to spend $5K to get a heavy one. For that money, go with a used Kubota and get 4WD, and a heavier machine with enough teeth to get your work done.

John Fundy ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-21          83803

A good, solid, simple used tractor well within the price range you speak of would be the Kubota L245DT, with an L1200 FEL, and L590 RFM. They were an early to mid 80's machine but you can find machines out there still in very good condition if you look around a bit. The above machine with attchments and perhaps a box blade and a small PHD would be around $4,000. Some of the other L Series models manufactured over the years would also be a good choice.

An option you may not have considered with respect to buying new would be a John Deere 790. It is a bit out of the price range you specified but if you are wanting a new tractor with a warranty and great financing, the 790 is one of the best buys on the market. Alos a very solid and reliable tractor.

If you are wanting a hydro type transmission, that pretty well restricts you to a few machines that may be at the top of or out of your price range.

Good luck on your tractor quest! ....

View my Photos
YanmarMarv

2004-04-21          83821

click on my name & you will get my E-mail address to let me know what you want ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-21          83822

Wooop, woooop, woooooop!!!!

SPAM ALERT, SPAM ALERT. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login