Go Bottom

JD 790 vs MF 1428 vs Kioti 3054

View my Photos
jehimes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-27          53867

I am going to buy a tractor to replace my aging MF35. I would like to get a 4WD, R-4s, and an FEL under $16,000. These 3 tractors all fit the bill; the JD is the cheapest ($13,900) then the Kioti (with a shuttle shift) ($14,700) and finally the MF ($15,800). I like the JD (mostly on price/brand recognition); but its FEL (a 419 I think) is rated for a very meger 600 lbs and the 3 pt is rated for 800 lbs. Has anyone found the FEL or the 3 pt hitch on the 790 to be too light?

Any other advice on making the desicion?

I am leaning toward the Kioti because of my concerns about the lift capacities on the JD and the shuttle (which I liked quite a bit); but I am not familar with the brand at all and I would hate to purchase it, and then have reliablity problem as that is why I am replacing the MF 35 in the first place.

TIA
Jay

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-27          53870

I have a 790 with the 419 loader and i had no problem lifting heaping loads of clay soil when i was repairing my pond, and as far as 3 pt cap. it will lift more than they say but the front end gets light, but other tractors with more cap. will do the same.So far Iv'e been pleased with mine. good strong machine for the money. the hydro trans would be nice for lots of loader work which the 790 does not offer, but the TC30 new holland is real comparable in price and it does offer it. It's 30 hp 4x4, real close in all other ways also. ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-27          53872

There's a lot more than those three. From Korea the Century-Branson twins and Mahindra are a lot more user friendly than the trio you list. They are becoming very popular and will be much better known in an amazingly short amount of time. Much shorter than Kubota or Kioti when they came to these shores. There's also Kubota L3000 and New Holland TC30 in your price range. I'm surprised at your price on the 790 though, it's about the best I've seen. As Plots said, you can go Hydro in NH which is a big plus. The Korean trio I mentioned all have 12 speeds and a shuttle shift. As a group ALL the Korean tractors are overbuilt and dependable. A shuttle should be a minimum for any loader work. I would keep looking and do some more homework. A big fctor is how you intend to use the tractor and the size of your property. It might be that none of these are suitable for your needs.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-27          53875

The biggest draw back to me on the 790 is the dry brakes. I know the TC30 is in the price range but I am not sure about the Malhindras or Century/Branson. I think the Malhindra in that size range is more comparable to the DK35 in terms of features. Kioti has not replaced that model yet. ....

View my Photos
bpkt

2003-04-28          53889

Jay,
I don't know where you live, but if you are considering the Kioti 3054, consider that we can get you in one with R4's and loader for $13,500.00. You may use our link to contact me for more information. Brian ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
jehimes

2003-04-28          53918

I'll try to answer some of the questions

1. Why not an NH? - THe dealer I contacted in my area has not returned my request for information; I don't want to try to have a tractor serviced at a dealership with poor responces to sales calls.

2. I am not aware of any dealers for Century-Branson or Mahindra in my area but I will look around.

3. I looked at a Kubota L2600 today and liked it quite a bit. It was $14,500 with better features (IMHO) than the JD but still with out the shuttle.

4. I am located in Lynchburg, VA ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-04-28          53932

The problem with the Kubota L2600 is the PTO is transmission driven. A live or independent PTO are much easier to work with. The L3000 isn't much more and really a better value. Your area is ripe with dealers. I would check the respective web sites and use the dealer locator feature. I would at least LOOK at the others before making a decision.
Pacesetter ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login