Go Bottom

Tractor sizing advice needed

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-15          54933

I want to buy a CUT in the next month or so, but am not sure what size and hp tractor would be a best-fit for our varied needs. We have 14 heavily wooded acres that need to be thinned. Probably the most demanding uses for the tractor would be bush-hogging, yarding, piling up slash, chipping, some light excavation for building a retaining wall, and some rough-leveling of a 1/3 acre field. After the bulk of that work is done we would use it for ongoing field maintenance, finish mowing, chipping, hauling firewood, etc.

It seems to me we need both a heavy machine for the initial workload and a lighter machine for ongoing maintenance. Unfortunately, I can only afford ONE tractor. I will buy from a local dealer so that means orange, blue, or green.

This will be my first tractor so I've got a lot to learn. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-15          54937

some of the 30 hp models start fairly low then they climb from there depending on what bells and whistles you want. I've got the 790 deere and I believe it would make the call for your expected work load , but it's a bare bones model.but it is priced right for a stout little unit. nh has the TC 30 that is real close in price and also can be ordered with hydro trans,real nice option for loader work. all in all i think i would at least start with 30 hp, more wouldn't hurt if the money is there. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-05-15          54939

From my research here I suspected that 30 hp might be adequate, but I was worried that it wouldn't be enough when doing excavating or field leveling. Is 30 hp enough for those activities? I don't care all that much if it takes a lot longer to do the job, I just don't want to break the tractor.

With 30 hp and a blade how much heavy red clay soil could be scraped on a single pass? I figure if I can cut a 4-6" depth on each pass it would be fine.

As a big guy I thought the 790 would be a little small for my frame. I haven't looked at the TC-30 yet, and the TC33 w/supersteer looks like it may have the advantage when maneuvering around all the trees. Haven't looked at Kubota at all yet but I will shop all three before ordering. I will probably buy from the dealer that seems the most honest and helpful.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-15          54943

I don't think a 30 hp machine will scrap 6inches deep in a single pass, and your right about the 790 ,It's a tight fit even for me only beening 5-10.you might try plowing or disking to break into ground then drag it with a box scraper to fill in low spots . like you said try them all for size before you buy, you'll be suprised on how often you will dismount and mount in a days event.I got the 790 because it was the best deal going in the 30 hp range at the time I bought it, PLUS THE DEALER WAS ASUME TO DEAL WITH !!!! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-15          54944

I have a 32 HP tractor and leveled more that 1/3 of an acre last year. I moved a lot of earth as I filled in around the basement and cut the slope. I had a 6 ft box blade and found fairly easy.
The best money spent on this type of work is for the hydro trans. At one point I was cutting and moving clay/fill from the front of the house to the back. I had a backhoe and a small doser working. I could cut nearly as fast as the doser as with the hydro I could make more passes in the same amount of time.
You can do almost anything with a smaller tractor as a larger one, it just takes a little more time.
If you go much larger than finish mowing becomes problematic. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-15          54950

I would recommend depending on how many bells and whistles you want either a John Deere 990 MFWD(40 HP basic simple gear shift tractor) or a John Deere 4410 ehydro with mid pto (35 HP, 30 PTO HP, MFWD, all the bells and whistles) I personally own a 4410 ehydro with 430 loader, 72" MMM, Land Pride landscaping rake, tiller, & post hole digger. I love my 4410 but both tractors are very good tractors. All depends on personal taste and budget. You can go larger to the 45, 46, & 4710's but they are quite a bit larger in size and are somewhat cumbersome for finish mowing. The 4410 is a little large at that as well but is a great compromise between HP & smaller size. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-15          54957

I wouldn't say that I was really large but when I was still wearing a blue outfit and making folks do what they didn't want to do, some of them called me "your acreage".

I sat on a 790 for the first time last week. Fine tractor, but no way jose for this boy! I couldn't step on the brake without hitting the FEL control with my knee.

All that to say this....... don't assume that a large tractor is going to be more comfortable based on its size.

Right now the Kubota BX is about the smallest tractor out there but I can tell you that it has far more comfortable seating than my Deere 4100, and the 4100 is way out in front of the 790, at least for those of us who are a couple of axe handles wide and need a scale for each foot. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-05-15          54958

Thanks for all the advice so far. It seems that some folks think 30 hp might be a bit marginal for the heavier jobs, so maybe 35 would be just enough. I like the idea of the JD 4410 - a little more power in a smaller frame. It sounds like a good compromise between HP and size. What Kubota and NH models would be closely comparable to the 4410? ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-05-16          54962

New Holland "Boomer" TC35, TC40, TC45. I also like the 3010S, it might be worth pricing. The link to these are at the bottom of the list on this web page.
Bill ....

Link:   New Holland web site

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-05-17          55032

I need to determine what size tractor will easily fit in our garage. Whatever model I buy will have a loader, so I'd like to know how much to add to the tractor length to come up with an overall length with the loader installed. In general how much does a loader add to the length of the tractor? A generous estimate will suffice since I don't plan on buying a machine that barely fits. TIA!

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-17          55038

Biggest issue to consider here is a folding ROPS. The tractor with loader mounted should fit in any garage but add maybe 3 feet for the loader to be on the safe side. I park my 4410 with loader in the downstairs garage I can even get it in there with the landscaping rake on the back too. I don't think the 790 or 990 can be had with a folding ROPS unless there have been some changes. You can probably get a 4710 in your garage with the ROPS down but that would be kinda tight. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-05-17          55041

Our garage door opening measure 7.5 feet, so I figured I'd need a foldable ROPS. That leaves out the 790 or 990. If I could save enough money buying a 990 to build a pole barn I'd have to consider it :-)

We have a 3-car garage that has two bigger bays and a shorter one. The tractor has to go in the shorter one, which measures about 18.5 feet. The biggest tractor on my list is the Kubota at about 125", so if I move the shelves in the back of the garage it should fit fine.

Thanks a bunch.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login