Go Bottom

Position control and snow removal

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-01          63023

Ahhh...the joys of tractor contemplation...

I'm trying to decide between sub-CUTs (JD 2210 vs MF GC2300). Demo'd the 2300 this weekend; liked it but for the choppy ride on hummocky lawn (3-4 acres). Will also be using selected tractor for snowblowing/clearing on ~300 ft. driveway (mostly native surface, w/ some light gravel). Around house, I envision using backblade to clear snow on ~50 ft. of driveway and garage area closest to house to protect siding.

Have read posts RE: position control and wonder if I ought to take that into consideration for pre-freeze/breakup on driveway. Don't want to end up trenching my driveway if current considered models have no position control. Due to concerns RE: rough ride and position control, I'm thinking about bumping up to JDs 4110 and ???. (There may also be some woods/trail clearing in my future.) Don't know if these issues warrant enough concern to make this change. Any thoughts?

Thanks to you all for previous responses--very helpful!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-01          63027

Well there is position control and then there is position control..... sort of. On the JD 4110 and above there is a repeatable position control lever that allows you to raise or lower the 3 point arms to the same pre-determined level each time.

On the less expensive tractors, any time you return the lever to the neutral setting it stops the raising/lowering at that point. So you can in effect position a rear blade where you need it but you have to do it by "eye" each time and there is no provision to return to a known setting or make incremental adjustments. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2003-09-01          63033

Thanks Mark.

I've really appreciated your comments on my inquiries. After posting this message, I reread the MF manual and noticed it says just what you said. I shoulda read more closely first... ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-01          63043

Da Nada. Glad to help. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login