Go Bottom

Please help with tractor size question

View my Photos
SwampFox
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-06          76108

I have approximately three acres. 1/3 the property is landscaped, 1/3 is lightly wooded brush, and 1/3 a wooded slope across a small banked stream. I have approximately 5000 sq ft of driveway/asphalt. Currently I contract out the lawn mowing/trim work, but the landscape guys won't deal with the brush.
I would like a tractor that can help with general landscaping, cut the brush, and most importantly snow removal. Would sub-compact like a BX or 2210 be able to run a brush hog, or should I look consider something along the lines of a 4110 or 4115?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-06          76123

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for a BX series tractor. I'm not sure how big of a bush hog you could go with on a BX series but I believe the biggest problem of getting a large bush hog is weight on the BX as they have plenty of power for their size. I was tempted to go with a BX series so I could get a backhoe but it was a little too small for most of my chores. I think if you went any bigger it would be too large for your lot. A little BX with the loader and backhoe would be great for landscape projects. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-06          76128

I have a MF GC2300, which is pretty comparable to the BX2200/2230. MF now makes the GC2310, which includes the backhoe. I have not brush hogged with mine, mainly because my mid-mount mower has handled anything I've put in front of it. Depending on what specificially you landscaping consists of, be aware you don't have a heck of a lot of clearance with the 2210/2230/2300 tractors.

I've got a couple other "Doh!" findings with mine that might be of interest to you. There is no position control on 3PH implements, other than you manually setting the position by eye every time you lower an implement. Implements in this size class tend to be a little light, thus subject to floating, which has been a little frustrating for clearing snow with the backblade, for example. I'm under 6 feet tall and the 3PH lever comes in right under my right knee when I'm seated on the tractor. When I'm running the treddle peddle and trying to keep an eye on / adjust implement height, that gets a little annoying. Finally, the fuel fill opening on the GC2300 is pretty small. Minor but aggravating when jockying around 5-gal fuel containers. These are things I didn't think to pay too close attention to BEFORE I bought.

Complaints aside, it's a great little tractor. Does a great job mowing and it's been a lifesaver this winter for blowing snow. The front-mount blowers are expensive, but they work great!

Most importantly, regardless of what kind of tractor you buy, find a dealer who is fair and reliable and with whom you feel comfortable. They're NOT all the same. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-07          76219

I think I'd concentrate on keeping the tractor busy. They are pretty expensive things to be just sitting around. Generally 'one size fits all' doesn't work for tractors. There'll always be jobs too big or too small for any single tractor.

One way of thinking about it is to pick the main work (could be finish mowing) and find a tractor that's best for that work. Then think about what else needs doing and push the tractor size a bit one way or the other to accommodate the most jobs. However, keep in mind that there will always be small engines and contractors in the mix. I just want to keep the tractor doing most of my work.

For example, I got my 24 hp tractor for trenching and material handling and landscaping. It works fine but it's too big for finish mowing on two 1-acre lawns and I'd have to drive or transport it 10 miles between properties. I keep an old beater of a riding mower going for finish mowing while the tractor sits out the work. The riding mover is faster because the tractor would take a lot of time to maneuver and would leave a lot of trimming. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-07          76233

I agree with TomG. You have to decide what the machine is going to do the most. I have allot of trees, etc. to mow around so I use riding mowers. For a work tractor you may want to go bigger like in the 30HP range. With a larger tractor you can lift and push more. The brush hogging takes PTO power depending on sapling sizes, etc. On the otherhand, you may be able to rent a bigger unit from your local dealer for the occasional brush hogging job. ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-07          76258

I stopped by the local JD dealer today. I drove both a 2210 and a 4110. The dealer said both would likely suit my needs, but he thought the 4110 would be better in the woods and for the bush. The 4110 had a really good feel to it, but the 2210 was also nice. I think the 2210 would be the better lawn mower, but the 4110 would be better in rough. I priced both. The 4110 came in at $14200 for tractor and FEL. The 2210 came in at $11500 for the same. The 4110 seems to be the better value.
I plan to look at the Kub next week. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-07          76275

I have a customer with a BX22 Kubota and he loves it. He mows about 5 acres and the rest is woods with a stream that is about 10' across which he crosses regularly except during the spring thaw or during heavy rain periods as the stream can get up to about three foot deep. The advantages of the larger tractor frames is little as you are still going to have to use a 60" deck so the BX would be the best for trimming with it's stocky wheel base. You do need to take your own measurements for ground clearance as some go off the absolut lowest point and some go from a higher point that is the full width. For the difference in the price you could maybe get the backhoe. ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-08          76334

This may seem crazy, but dealing with the finish mowing is less important than the landscaping or clearing the brush. My landscaping has matured, and now needs to be 'thinned'. Several small to mid sized trees and bushes are now too close. I'd like to both remove or move a number of them. I'd also like to make trails through the brush to the small creek/stream, and plant wild flower along the way. There are also a few of dead trees that need to be pulled out. I am also very tired of dealing with the snow. I have a snowblower, but it is useless with wet snow and slush. So being able to push a plow is top priority.

A BX sized machine with a backhoe would be about $5K less than a 4110 sized machine. The BX sized machine would cleary be ideal if I did not have the brush and wooded area. Yet, the 4110 is hardly a huge machine, and could clearly do the lawn if needed. Removing the FEL is amazing simple with the JD.
Having said that I don't want to waste money. The 2210 is out because of the backhoe issue. I plan to look at KUB this week. ....

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-09          76472

I got a jinma,[chinese tractor],sold by northern tools,its 25 h.p., bigger then a subcompact,[its no lawn mower],4wd,will handle a 5 ft brush hog or 5 ft tiller no problem. You can get them with front end loader,backhoe,or anything else you want,comes from northern with a 6 months parts AND labor warrenty,you can buy additional warrenty cheap. Cost was about 8,ooo dollars,put together,tested,ready to rumble. Richard ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-09          76477

In my opinion I think the salesman was pretty much on the mark with the 4110, the 4115 if your budget can accomodate it and you like the big gun of the small frame line. If you plan on doing rotary cutting and other landscaping tasks I think you will be much better served with one of these two.

Some of the task you mention such as pulling some old trees will be better suited to a heavier tractor with some heavier duty features. You could make do with a 2210 but I am not so sure you would be entirely happy with it in some uses. You can still do some very nice lawn cutting work with the 4110 or 4115 AND do most other tasks the are suited to a tractor larger than a lawn tractor. ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-10          76556

Looked at Kub today. I like the Bx2230 better than the Deere 2210. I also looked at the Bx23. I liked the idea of the BH. I was quoted $12900 for a 2300 with FEL and 60" MMM. The BX23 was $16000 plus an additional $1700 for the MMM. I was told that R4s are not available for the Kubs, and I'm not sure I want AGs. The dealer told me he sold 40 BX2230s last year, so I guess that explains the pricing.
The 4110 seems to be the most aggressively priced tractor, with 0% financing. Certainly has the best hydraulics. It's a little bigger than I originally thought I wanted, but not excessive. Hmmmm
I can't find any info on a BH for the 4110. It exists, correct?

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-10          76557

Swampfox
On a side note, those old dead trees you talked about, if they dont pose a threat to anyone or anything let them stay put, they provide great homes for the critters, after a while and also improve their habitat. ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-10          76560

Brokenarrow,
There are some that are leaning on other trees, and being held up by branches. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-10          76563

Swampfox.... the 4110 takes a JD 46 backhoe. I have one on my 4115.

I have info on the way to your e-mail....so if you get a 5 minute download you will know why.

Mark ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-02-10          76566

Swampfox the price of the backhoe is a bargin at that price compared to the larger units. It sit's right behind the rearend and is a four point hook up that doesn't loose any ground clearance. It's just if you ever thought of a need for a backhoe you would never buy one at a better price. You have to go quite a bit larger to get to a bigger deck so why give up manuverability and flexibility from the BX compactness. To buy a larger frame tractor sometimes you actually spend more time getting jobs done! ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-10          76579

From the estimates, it's $5000 to upgrade from a 2230 to a BX23. I agree that the smaller frame size would be easier to maneuver near the house.
Here is where I am. The 2210 is out. The 4110 is $3K more than smaller KUB. The 3k buys a more robust frame and better hydrolyics. The bigger tractor may be a bit large for my property. Both are nice tractors.

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-10          76580

I have owned a 4100 Gear, a BX22 and a 4115 HST TLB. Let me know if I can help.

Mark ....

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-11          76661

Swampfox,
What I would suggest to you is go to your dealers and see if you can get a demo unit to try for a day or two. Compare the two or three units you are considering, then buy the one you like the most. I personally like the two pedal hydro controls on the JD better than the treadpedal on the Kubota, especially after running them for several hours. The JD also has turning brakes on the left side for easy brake assisted tight turning. Also the hydraulic on the JD make for faster cylcle times if you plan to do alot of loader work.
But I also think both the JD and Kubota are good, reliable machines. And I am sure you would enjoy either one of them. Good luck with your tractor purchase. ....

View my Photos
SwampFox

2004-02-16          77012

Mark,

Do you like the 46 BH? Does the extra seat make the BH cumbersome compared to one whre the seat rotates?

SM ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-16          77021

Actually having two seats is a little easier than swiveling the single seat but overall it is a wash in that category.

Kubota has an much easier to operate backhoe. The controls are very easy to feather and use precisely, and the operator space is more comfortable.

That said, that wonderful little backhoe comes attached to a tractor with a marginal loader, small, hard riding, easily overwhelmed tires, a low pressure hydraulic system and a limited 3 point hitch.

Don't take this wrong.... folks that have a "settled" piece of land who are cleaning up after a couple horses along with summer mowing and winter plowing/blowing will find the BX just about right.

But if your land looks like a rocky construction site or you are contemplating numerous trips to the woodlot.... there are better tractors. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login