Go Bottom

what size tractor do i need

View my Photos
trctrnm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-21          80603

I have 80 acres, about 20 still wooded (pinon pine mostly). The rest was bulldozed many years ago, and the trees were left in piled up rows. Some parts are pretty hilly. I'm thinking about a kubota L2800 or L3400 with a fel to clean up the tree mess, maintain a 1300' road, bush hog part of the acreage, clear some snow in the winter. Will these tractors be big enough, or too big for the job? Will either of these run a fence post driver, or is a bigger tractor needed for that (have to do about 3/4 mile of fencing around the property that's not fenced yet.) Thanks for your advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80605

From what I see the answer is no. You would be better with a larger frame tractor for burning piles and running the Post drivers. I think you would be better with a M series tractor. A neighbour just bought one last fall M4700 with loader for 14K. ....

Link:   Post Drivers

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80606

Can you be a little more specific as to the "piled up rows".
Whole trees,stumps and dirt all dozed into windrows? Or brush only? What do you want to do with it? Chip,burn,bury,
haul it off? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-21          80627

A John Deere 4610/4710 or larger (maybe even a 5000 series) come to my mind considering what you plan to do. The Kubota L4630 or 5030 would be a good choice as well. A grapple would be a good choice for the FEL. ....

View my Photos
trctrnm

2004-03-22          80722

The piled up rows are mostly whole trees, most not over 6 in. in diameter (and many less). They are a couple feet high, with some sandy soil mixed in. I'll probably use some of them for erosion dams on some washes on this propery and on another property as well. Will probably burn some of it just to get rid of it, but would like to chip some of it as well.
If the main reason to get a bigger tractor is to run a fence post driver, I can rent a portable one from the local rental company.
Thanks again for your advice.

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-22          80775

Let me ask you this. Once the piles are cleaned up will you need the larger machine? Maybe rent a machine to do the initial clean up? Wood chippers and dirt don't get along.
Sounds like a good job for an excavator with a thumb.Do
you know anyone that runs one for a living? You rent the
machine for the weekend and get a pro to run it. You will
get 3 times as much done. ....

View my Photos
George Clark

2004-03-22          80782

If it was me, I would go with a lot more tractor. i.e. Massey 40 or JD 2130 but by all means get an "industrial" grade unit with the really heavy beams for the loader etc. otherwise you will be disappointed at the performance(or lack thereof) of the smaller units. The new Bransons are quite heavy for their power and seem to be well made but few new units will compare to the 40-70 hp and grunt of an "ol time religion" big rig. The ergonomics is much improved on the newer models but they are still expensive for what you get in serious workability. There are a number of good big older rigs on the market now because people do like the new designs but keep in mind these are mostly 2-12 acre folks without the "old acreage" problems of odd and heavy loads and hidden dangers(half buried relics). The older industrial units can almost be used as a bulldozer while the new "3000lb." units are just gonna bend and bind. Just an opinion, but born out by goin' out in the country and askin' the folks 2 miles down a dirt road. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login