Go Bottom

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
paleobubba
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-24          84122

I am looking for a tractor to use, most weeks, to mow approximately 3 acres of lawn immediately around my house. There are several trees, so I probably need something fairly maneuverable with a belly mower. There are another couple of acres adjacent to it that slopes down into something of a sinkhole that would need to be cleared 2 or 3 times a year. I would also, however, like to be able to square-bale hay another 10 acres of gently rolling pasture twice a year.

My knowledge of tractors is minimal to say the least. When brush hog and hay time comes, I don’t mind spending a little extra time to get the job done – i.e. I am not too concerned about speed for the heavier-duty tasks. I am just interested in the smallest, reliable tractor to get the job done. I am thinking 4wd would be wise; however, I am not very clear what I need in terms of horsepower. From what I have read, it sounds as if 35 hp may be the minimum for hay, but could I get by with less for square baling? Any particular tractor models you might suggest? I would probably lean towards a used tractor. I appreciate any recommendations you can offer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-25          84202

The 35 horsepower you talk about is 35 PTO hosepower which puts you up to about 40 engine horsepower needed. I'd really be wondering about the equipment you need to do this which will cost quite a bit. A new baler is about 15000 at a minimum or 5000 for a reliable used one, mower for the hay 12000 new, even used for a good reliable one you would be about 4000 and a rake for 1000 about the same for a used tedder and then a couple of wagons new at about 3000 each or used for 1500 to 2000. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-25          84254

I would have to ditto art. To by all the equiptment needed for 10acers os not very econamical. My suggjestion would be to get a tractor and belly mowwer and pay a farmer to come and cut and bale the hay. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
paleobubba

2004-04-26          84320

Thanks so much for your responses. I realize I am not looking at a potential economic windfall here. Let me see if I have you straight here. (I understand your figures are rough.)

New equipment setup
$15,000 baler
$12,000 mower to cut hay
$1,000 rake
$3,000 x 2 wagons
+ cost of 40 h.p. tractor

Used setup
$5,000 baler
$4,000 mower to cut hay
$1,000 rake
$1,500 - 2,000 x 2 wagons
+ cost of tractor

These costs don't include whatever I would need for the yard unless I am mistaken. You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but why do you say a couple of wagons are necessary?

Currently I do have a farmer haying the field, and we split the hay. By the way, what split is typical/reasonable?

I wasn't really thinking of it when I posted originally, but I guess my hope is to eventually obtain some additional acreage, so, even if I don't buy all the equipment now, it would be nice to at least get the tractor that would suit the purposes mentioned rather buy a small one now for just mowing then a larger one down the road. It's also possible in the near term I could also borrow some of the implements and do the hay myself.

Thanks again. Still learning...

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-04-26          84332

If it's square bales you can mow it, rake it and bale it with 35HP easy.
Used 30-40 HP tractor= $4,000- $10,000
New CCM drum mower= $2,000
New CCM Rake = $490
Used NH 273 baler= $1,700
This is just an example.
You will not get rich but can pay the taxes and have extra money to invest in newer equipment. ....

Link:   Carter & Carter Machinery, Hay Equipment Headquarters

Picture Link

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-04-26          84337

I found this mini baler [link below]; it may work out better for you, because you will not need a 40hp tractor... I'm no expert, but something to throw out there.... I have no idea what it costs though. ....

Link:   Mini Square Baler

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-04-26          84339

Most people cut their own hay and rake it but have the hay custom baled. If you do this you will not have much invested at all into your operation. ....

Link:   CCM Drum Mower

Picture Link

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-26          84344

This thread sure is sounding suspiciously like a spam for Carter & Carter Machinery.

But I must be mistaken, surely one of our own members wouldn't do THAT and risk p'ing off all the other members. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-04-26          84345

Murf, I have to agree with you on the spamming....

What are your thoughts on the mini baler.. it sounded neat for small operations. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-04-26          84346

Murf,
You've been mistaken before. CCM did not start this thread.
It just a fact the not many companies have hay equipment that works on less than 40 HP but CCM is one of those companies. Does JD or NH have any? NO so how will you be able to post about how a JD XYZ model will work on less than 40 HP. Does any other USA company have a drum mower that works on a 20 HP tractor? If you say Star they are from Japan. Get the facts straight Murf. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-26          84349

A typical split on hay is 50/50. I used to let my neighbor cut my hay on the halves but then I was stuck with selling it. Now a have a lady cut and bale it. She pays me $10 per round bale and all I have to do is cash the checks. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-26          84352

The small baler does sound like a slick little unit, but for small volume/acreage I hink one of the older small units would be a better choice.

Mr. Carter, I HAVE been mistaken before, MANY times in fact, and I'm not sure why you think I alledged you STARTED this thread.

I also made no mention of who makes what equipment or where.

What facts did I get wrong BTW? I said it was sounding suspiciously like a 'spam', it is defined in an online glossary of internet terms as "SPAM - Basically sending information to people who in no way asked you to send that information."

Your post was in reply to someone asking "From what I have read, it sounds as if 35 hp may be the minimum for hay, but could I get by with less for square baling?". It would not be out of line to suggest price ranges or comparables, new or used, as Art did, who BTW, did not link to his farm equipment dealership website.

The original post also said the poster was thinking/leaning towards a 35hp tractor, so what does "Does any other USA company have a drum mower that works on a 20 HP tractor?" have to do with anything?

Please don't get hostile, just offer friendly advise based on your knowledge, like everybody else here does, nobody is disputing you know about small equipment, just hold the sales pitch for those who call or visit you, that's all.

Best of luck.

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-26          84384

hey murf didn't we have this sort of conversation with iron peddler before and the whole thread got deleted?
Any way I would say if you are splitting it 50/50 that is about fair if you are using the hay and not selling it. If you are selling it you may as well sell it to who ever is doing the work for you. What ever tractor you decide on you can always trade up later on where you acquire more land. Tractors especially any of the big three will hold there value and you will most like likely not lose any money on the trade. Just another thing to think about. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-04-28          84657

I found the information very informing. I did not know I could get a new mower for that price. Something to knock around the finantial front for future purchases. When I was looking at used equipment I saw alot of expensive rust. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
paleobubba

2004-05-01          84842

Cutting it myself then having someone else custom bale had occurred to me. Supposing I did go this route, would I still need to be looking at a 40hp tractor?

Still curious to know why two wagons as well. ....

Mow hay and hog 15 acres

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-05-01          84857

30-45 HP in a used tractor will be close to the same price. If you are not going to round bale and do not have many hills 35 HP will be enough. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login