Go Bottom

which tractor for 8 acre horse farm

View my Photos
michael_9999
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-03          87621

just bought a 8 acre horse farm - 6 acres pasture/2 acres lawn. Trying to figure out which tractor to buy. Aside from mowing and rough cutting, I will need the tractor for moving manure, feed, and other stuff, snow removal on 300 ft driveway, and post hole digging for fencing. Shouldn't need to do too much with hay since it will be delivered to the barn. I would like to stay under $15k for tractor, FEL and belly mower. I have been looking at JD 4110, 4115, 855, and 790 used and new models. Any help would be appreciated -thanks, Michael

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-03          87659

If you really wan to stay under 15k for the entire package, you should be looking at a previously owned machine. Don't go too small, especially with what you want to do with the tractor. You should be able to get a very good used tractor in the 30hp range for your budget. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-03          87665

I have a similar situation, not quit as much land but I maintain 3 acres for my neighbor so actually closer than I thought. I have a TC33D (33hp) It has worked great for all yo mentioned. I would not go any smaller than 30hp. New would be a little more than $15,000.00. Good luck ....

View my Photos
tracer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-03          87674

Greetings Michael9999

I too have 8.5 acres of woods and lawn but no horses. I have the Deere 790 w 419 FEL, rear blade and 5ft King Kutter rear finish Mower. I also have a riding mower and weed eater for trim work. I got my 790 which I thought was closer to 30 horse than it really is, thats a whole nother story, but i have found it to be adequate for mowing, moving dirt, snow and gravel, road maintenance etc . I paid out the door delivered 14 k. That was 18 monthes ago and I wish I could have gotten a 990 or a even a 4000 series but the Deere delivery man even said a gear tractor is a "better" tractor than a HST as far as dependability and less to go wrong but there are many who swear by the ease of the HST with FEL work. Get as much tractor as you can even if it means buying used. I plan on keeping the 790 for thirty years if I live that long which is one reason I bought new. I have heard good things about the blue tc33 and the orange tractors are good too if a little pricey. Many will tell you its not just the equipment but the dealer and those who provide the sevice that are signifigant factors in the decision making process. A great tractor and p__ poor service are not as good as an ok tractor and great service. Your Call. Hope this helps.
Tracer ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-06-03          87678

I have 11 acres and 6 horses, the JD 790 is perfect. You should be able to get it with FEL and mower for right about 15K. I apid 14.9K with FEL and rotary mower and R4 tires. The belly mower would raise the price, but you can make some up by getting the turfs or ag tires, the R4s where about a 400 option as I recall. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-06-03          87686

Everyone has different learning curves and ways they enjoy doing things. Some people are totally comfortable with gear drive tractors for what they need them for. You should figure out the percentages of what you might need the tractor for and if anyone else might posssibly be operating the tractor. That is where the hydro's come in as they are very easy to operate or to train people to operate them. They have a built in dead man petal so all you need to do when unsure of a situation is to remove your foot unless using cruise. The gear drive tractor will burn less fuel during open field work just like a car or truck on the open highway and the initial cost is less but when working in close quarters the costs of clutches offsets all fuel as well as the lower initial cost in the long run. In the Kubota line you could get by with a BX on the low cost size but more satisfaction would be gained with the larger B-series like the B-7800 that would work with a five foot bush hog style mower for the pasture and still be able to quickly handle the lawn mowing with a seventy two inch mowing deck and still not put you ove budget. This type of package would give you optimum time for the horses as well as family and yourself. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login