Go Bottom

What size turf tires to use on JD770 MFWD

View my Photos
reno605
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-05          101613

Currently have R1's, 6.00-12 on 12x4 rim and 12.4x16 on 11x16 rim. Like the R1's except on lawn. Would love to have set of turfs for summer use. Manual has too many choices without enough detail for me to determine what size turfs on which rims. Have also considered R4's but yet be able to find R4 for front in 6.00-12. Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-05          101633

You can't get there from here. The only tractor tire I have found that will fit a 12x4 inch rim is the Ag tire you already have. If you want to install turfs or R-4's you will need a much new, much wider front rim.

All is not lost though. I had the same issue with my first tractor, a JD 4100 GEAR. After careful study, I figured out how to use the existing rims with kinder and tires.

I ended up with an all season 155-12 radial on the front and a 245/75-16 radial M&S on the rear.

That said, I have a set of R-4s sitting in the shed from my 4115. The fronts are still mounted on rims. I don't know if your tractor has the same front bolt pattern as my 4115 though.

LATER ENTRY: I found a pic of a 770 on the net and we definitely do not have rims in common. The is some very good data on the Firestone Ag web site that tells you how to calculate the gear ratio between front and rear axles. Once you know that it is pretty easy to mach up a set of car/truck tires. ....

View my Photos
jphamel

2011-01-03          176187

When you figure out what is going to work for you and is cost effective, could you please let me know what you came up with. I just purchased a 770 with R-1 ag tires and they're tearing up my lawn just hauling wood to the house so I know that I'm going to have to change out my tires when it comes time to mow this summer. If I find something out I'll let you know too. My neighbor put a set of Chinese made turf tires on his, so I'm going to check on that price also. THANK YOU!!! ....

View my Photos
jphamel

2011-01-03          176188

When you figure out what is going to work for you and is cost effective, could you please let me know what you came up with. I just purchased a 770 with R-1 ag tires and they're tearing up my lawn just hauling wood to the house so I know that I'm going to have to change out my tires when it comes time to mow this summer. If I find something out I'll let you know too. My neighbor put a set of Chinese made turf tires on his, so I'm going to check on that price also. THANK YOU!!! ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-04          176202

JP, welcome to TP. No idea if you will get feedback as that was posted in 2004.

Not saying turf tires are not better for a lawn but I have used ag tires on lawn and had little issue with mine. Be sure you are not in four wheel drive, don't turn very sharp and if lawn is wet stay off. As to hauling wood were you pulling a trailer for that would also cause more need for the tires to dig in compared to driving over it with mower might. ....

View my Photos
jphamel

2011-01-04          176216

I'm not pulling a trailer, and even when I'm driving across the lawn with the loader off the tractor, the tires are making some pretty deep indentions in my lawn. If anyone has a 770 or 790 4x4 with turf tires and are looking for a tire that's more aggressive, I'd be interested in swapping my ag tires for a set of turf tires. My tractor only has 370 hours and is a 1998 model so my tires are in good condition and would like some in the same condition or better. If someone would have a new set on rims, I'd be interested in purchasing them also. THANKS!!! ....

View my Photos
No1Jackson

2012-03-02          182617

13.6x16 turf will fit on a 11x16 wheel ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login