Go Bottom

sloooow leak

View my Photos
taheide
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-25          106808

My right front R4 has developed a very slow leak, tends to draw down after about 3 weeks. What would be the best way to locate and repair it without removing the tire. Its darn cold out if you get my drift. I tried Slime, but either I didnt get enough in, or didnt drive fast enough for it to do any good.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

sloooow leak

View my Photos
denwood

2005-02-25          106814

I mix a good bit of sudsy dishsoap in warm water and slather it on the tire. When you see a bubble grow, you found the leak. It is hard to say how to fix it. It could be valve, valve stem, sidewall, or tread. Usually it is the tread and you can just plug it. I bought the professional plug kit like the garage has and have already bought a second supply of plugs. Only one in the tractor so far. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-02-25          106822

I have yet had Slime not work. The problem is you need to put the whole 16 ozs or more in and spin the tire as fast as possible to slosh it around. Chances are good if you donb't see anything and the slime didn't work it's your side wall. If you remove the tire ( I know you don't want to) and then put it down flat and let the slime slosh on the side walls it will seal them up. Try to soap to see where it bubbles up. If it's tasking this long it's the sidewall.

I used slime in a tube tire that was leaking from the valve stem. It is amazing stuff for low speed use. I put it in all my tires and forget about nails. The stuff works and it doesn't freeze. The "walmart" brand is 1/2 the price and works just as good. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
taheide

2005-02-28          106961

Thanks, when the weather warms up to the point I can wash it down, I will take it off and check, right now its a mess from the manure pile and mud. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-28          106966

From the sounds of your slow leak it could very easily be the core in the stem. First, I'd try tightening it with a core tool. The easiest way a take a little spit and put it over the tip and see if it holds and stays in place. That's how country folk do it. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
taheide

2005-02-28          106978

Core is fine, that was the first thing I checked, besides, the core needs to be removed to put in the slime. I probably didnt put enough slime in, it isnt leaking down as fast as before the slime, I'm just too lazy to rip the wheel off to do a dunk. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-01          107016

I only tried to use slime once and it didn't work either. I realize you had to take the core out to put the slime in. What I found was is the core was fine before I put the slime in, but afterward it seemed like the stuff got around the seat and caused a very minor leak. It sealed the major leak but still ended up with a slow leak. When I took it apart and put a new tire on, what a mess the slime is! Never again!! ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-03-01          107017

Something else worth checking. I had a rim crack around the spot weld that held the wheel dish into the rim. Those slow ones can be frustrating. Frank. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-03-01          107018

I was in a tire shop one time when the owner was dismounting a tire with slime in it (not mine), lots of profanity suddenly erupted so I've never used it. Best of luck. Frank. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
treeman

2005-03-01          107030

Sometimes shops will have a hourly surcharge if a tire has liquid sealer in it. It makes it extremely hard to fix properly. A repair plug or plug-patch won't stick to the tire very well. The liquid sealer will get into plys through the hole and is almost impossible to get out. Most of the time you have a tire plug that never vulcanizes to the surrounding tire rubber. I have worked on enough "slimed" tires to know I won't ever use the stuff unless it is the absolute last choice. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-01          107058

I'm a big fan of Slime---I sometimes do demolition wok with my LS180 skid steer. I buy it on sale at Tractor Supply for $14 a gallon. I have 12-16.5 tires and put in about a gallon and half per tire. Haven't had a flat or even a low tire in over a year. Easiest way I found is dismount one sidewall of the tire and put a block of wood between it and the rim then fill it. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-02          107110

I'm a big fan of adding tubes to the tires. If yu do hit a sidewall hard even if it does move in some and gets contaminated with dirt the tube will still hold air! ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-02          107117

I am just the opposite, I dislike tubes. Any thorn, nail etc that pops the tube means taking off the whole tire to fix it. I have put over 25 plugs in tires in the past 7 years. It takes only a minute and you are back in business. The wheel doesn't even have to come off. I used the Safety Seal commercial plug kit. I can't begin to tell you the time, money, and profanity it has saved. ....

sloooow leak

View my Photos
plots1

2005-03-02          107124

I tried plugging my 790 front tires when I had it and couldn't keep the plugs from poppin out when I would lift full buckets of dirt up, I guess it was putting a lot of pressure on the tires.I ended up getting them foam filled. after that you could run over a rail road spike with any worry. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login