Go Bottom

How much air is in your tires

View my Photos
JonB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-11          11839

This weekend I noticed one of my tires seemed low, checked it out, and was surprised how low all four tires read--from 12 to 15 lbs. I have a 4100 with R-1 tires. The sidewalls say don't exceed 38 lbs., and the manual says nothing. I think a recent post said lower pressure means better traction and less soil compaction--but how low is too low? Is there a recommended range? Does it depend on your soil and tasks? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Tom G

2000-01-11          11841

I'm surprised nothing is in the manual. My Ford 1710 manual has a table that gives pressures for various standard tires at different loads. Your pressures are similar to what's in my manual.

At present, I'm running 10lbs front and 12lbs rear. Those pressures are minimum for the tires, and I suppose I should check the pressures regularly. I'll add 2 lbs this spring when I need more carrying capacity.

I'm sure that running 38 lbs in your tires would jar your teeth since tractors have no suspension other than the tires. ....

View my Photos
DanaT

2000-01-11          11843

I keep 15 LBS in the rear, not near max air pressure but when I got a load on the rear they stand up good ( 3-point disc-cement mixer). If maxed out the ride would be terrible. the front I keep the max air pressure, the loader is used alot with heavy loads so to make them stand up the best they can for the load. I found a air pressure balance that works well for me, but that will very for different uses! Hope this help's

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-11          11855

Jon,
Our 4100 came with R4 tires, specifying 40PSI max pressure (front/rear). 40PSI made the tires feel like they were solid rubber. A little testing showed 15-20psi to work relatively well, although that may have been a bit low for safety reasons. At any rate, I have since swapped them for turfs, which indicate 15PSI max (front/rear). A little advice from www.Tirerack.com Tires "average" 1 lbs of air lose per month and 1lb variance per 10 degrees. Hence 30psi at 90 degrees puts you at 24 lbs around the freezing mark. Tip: Don't forget to check the air in the spare tire on your truck or wife's car at least once a year... ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-12          11872

Give you guys something more to check. Take your tractor and drive across some loose, clingy dirt or dust. look at the amount of tread that has the dirt on it. There would be clean rubbed showing on the end of the bars or on the outer edge of the tires if the pressure is to high turf or r-1's or r-4's it makes no difference. when you have the center's clean then your pressure is to low. Depending on what you are doing you may also look at the print in the soil. Another way to test your tire's static on payment is with a knife sliding it under the bar of the tires. The maximum inflation on the sides of tires is a safe amount to install to set a bead. If you feel you need that much air in your tire's than you need a larger tractor. If you have a suspended mowing deck or loader your air needs to be equal in the rear tires other wise you will not cut level. ....

View my Photos
Michael Spurgeon

2000-01-12          11892

Michael--I too ordered my tractor with R4's and found it to be rougher riding than I imagined. Cutting the tire air pressure in half for mowing helps a little, but loader work requires the max pressure. I am wondering how you were able to swap your R-4's for turfs if you had any hours on them.
Mike S. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-01-13          11899

Michael,
I had about 20hrs of off-road use on them. They still had the little rubber nipples on the treads. ....

View my Photos
Frank Bonello

2000-06-29          17552

Is your tractor 4WD? I know that the tire pressure can have a great affect on your tire ratio if it is. Example SLR is the static loaded radius. In other words the distance between the ground to the centerline of your tire and rim assembly with the tractor fully loaded. Depending on which implements are installed your tire pressure may varry. Now how do you know what tire pressure is correct, You take the SLR of the front, multiply it to the gear ratio, then divide that by the rear SLR. The result should be that the front tires should turn 0-3 % faster than the rears. It can not be below 0% because your rear tires will start pushing your front resulting in your drivetrain binding up on you. If your shifter is hard to engage or disingage out of 4WD this is an indicator that it is binding up. I hope this info was helpful. ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-06-29          17554

It would seem to me that the driveline would have some binding unless it was 0% - and of course going around curves. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-30          17574

Good job Frank 0 to 3% lead is proper. When operating as Frank said if your four wheel drive lever does not engage easily than you may have problems. With the bigger farm tractors with larger side walls they often make the front end bounce up and down trying to equalize the drive line wrap created from the in balance. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login