Go Bottom

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
k9fletch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131271

About three weeks ago I had my tires filled with Rim Guard. Rim guard recommended a tire dealer who came to the house to fill the tires, not being sure if I would be home when tire service tech arrived, I left the tractor parked on the grass near the end of the drive. As it turned out I was home. While filling the tires the solution sprayed all over the rims and wheels which the service tech. washed off (the tire, rim and fender) and assured me that the solution was not toxic but if not washed off right away it would be difficult to get off the tractor.

Once he was gone I did about a days worth of chores with the tractor then loaded it up and headed up north. Upon my arrival home (a few days ago) I discovered a perfect square of dead grass where the tractor had sat while being filled and sprayed with the solution.

I am not overly upset at this situation but more curious if there is some level of toxic-ness to rim guard? Has anyone experienced this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-22          131273

I don't know much about Rim Guard but I'd be suspicious that the tires were actually filled with calcium. You might drain a few drops from one of the valves into a cup and see what it looks like. My chemistry is more than a little rusty - what's a good test for salts? ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
k9fletch

2006-06-22          131274

Thanks I'll try that, It did cross my mind that he may use the same pump and hoses for pumping calicum cloride, but the stuff that was sprayed out was a sticky brown liquid. Let me if you find one of your old chemistry books. ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-22          131277

Sticky brown certainly sounds like it would be Rim Guard. ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
k9fletch

2006-06-23          131298

Update:
I have had great response from the dealer and from the president of Rim Guard, we all think that there may have been some sort of contamination from calcium chloride into the Rim Guard product. On Tuesday the owner of the company is coming over to look at the damage, Ill keep you posted. ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-23          131308

I am not sure that the rim guard might not kill the grass if it saturated one area. I you spread poly acylamide, water soluble polymer on the grass and don't dilute it down it will seal of the surface and kill the grass. ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-23          131327

They should be two different machines for the loading or maybe I've missed something. ....

Rim Guard and dead grass

View my Photos
k9fletch

2006-06-27          131473

I spoke with the owner of the tire shop, and yes they do use the exact same pump and hoses for pumping Rim Guard as they do with pumping Calcium Chloride they carry a tank of each on their truck. The technician is supposed to rinse everything back into the chloride tank after use but the owner stated that the tech. probably did not and they may even mixed the two due to a crack in one of the tanks. The owner stated that he will pay for the lawn replacement, but I am more concerned with what is in my rims. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login