Go Bottom

Proper tread pattern choice

View my Photos
Scott Kimmich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-04          14455

Does anyone have experience with "modified" tread patterns that are neither R-1 or R-4?? Goodyear has a dizzying array of choices, (check out their website) and some of them look as though they may be good for my specific application. I want to blow snow from my gravel road primarily, but don't want to tear it up in spring, summer, and fall. R-1's are too severe for gravel road work, R-4's aren't aggresive enough for grip on snow and ice in winter. Any input is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Proper tread pattern choice

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-04          14462

I don't believe that there is any such thing as a tire with good traction on ice. This goes for trying to pull a load or a hill in snow over ice as well. To solve the problem, I use turf tires plus a set of lightweight chains that I put on for wintertime. The chains where made up specifically for my tires by modifying a lightweight set of automotive chains....I believer that they were originally for a Saab. These chains stay on the tractor throughout the winter. They fit well, and neither the tires nor the chains show any wear from this practice after 18 years. Traction is superior to any type of tread in the snow and ice. I think that I have a picture of the tractor so-equipped. Email me and I will scan it in for you. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login