Go Bottom

Mismatched tires R4 on front and turf on rear

View my Photos
KlayW in MI
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-17          14871

I saw a set of R4's on the front and turfs (same make) on the rear of a 955 today. What problems would this cause in the trans/4WD with this combo? With 290 hours would it be a concern? What advantages if any? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-04-19          14912

Possible problems are power hop and drive train damage. You should calculate the amount of mismatch to determine if there is a problem. There are several good discussions since last summer on how to do these calculations. You should be able to find them in the archives here and possibly on tractorbynet. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-04-19          14921

Klay,
Your not the first to spot this sight. I've seen it quite a few times as well. OMO, and based strictly from having both R4s and Turfs on our 4100, the front turfs and R4s are almost identical in diameter. It is ok for fronts to slightly overdrive the rears, but not vise vera. This may be a problem.. Because the R4s are very rigid and therefore vary little in size. A Turf tires diameter can be altered slightly through air pressure. In this situation, the rears may be overdriving the fronts. NOW.. To be the devil's advocate. I can tell you right now my fronts will be bald long before my rears are even so much as half worn.
Between turning, loader use and what must be about 2-3 revolutions up front for every revolution of the rears.

Lastly, the unit is fairly light compared to farm tractors, and doubtful its drivetrain has seen stresses associated with pulling a plow, harrow, etc.
The only advantage, is an R4s higher weight rating and wear charactoristics....minus the cost of buying a rear set of rims and tires.
This cost "may" show up somewhere else down the road...
Clear as mud...right?? Seriously, I don't know what to tell you...

Go Top

Share This

Member Login