Go Bottom

balast or not

View my Photos
John Shade
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-17          16370

I'm getting close to purchasing a Kubota 2710 or 2910 with loader for maintaining 5 acres. A dealer says that I should have the R4 tires liquid weighted. He uses windshield washer fluid. Is this weight required, recommended, not recommended in your opinion? How will this affect the finish mowing that I plan on doing some day? It appears that the Kubota's are lighter than their competition's like machines. Is that good or bad? Thank you in advance for helping a beginner...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

balast or not

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-18          16374

Ballast in the tires is recommended in the owners manual, in addition to an implement or weight of some kind on the 3-point when you're using the front end loader. It'll just give you added traction anytime. Some are concerned about the added weight on the lawn when finish mowing, and others believe it does less damage by preventing wheel slippage. I don't know whether it makes much difference or not, but I added liquid to my rear tires myself after using the tractor awhile and it does improve traction. ....

balast or not

View my Photos
Darren

2000-05-18          16379

I'd go with the ballast for not only front end loader work but also if you have slopes to mow.

Years ago, my father rolled a small Bolens lawn tractor. Afterwards I had lead powder put into the rear tires. You could take that thing anywhere after that and even drag logs with it. ....

balast or not

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-18          16384

John,
You will need some sort of counter balance to offset not only what you are moving/lifting with the loader bucket, but the weight of the loader itself. Be it liquid in the tires or a 3pt counter weight. I like the 3pt counter weight method better,because it allows me to quickly lighten the tractor by about 700lbs if necessary. While I generally don't mow with the 3pt weight attached, I do at least keep the rear wheel weights attached, it definitely does less damage to the turf on hills. Having done it both ways..a few times, with and without the weights... The results are visually obvious. Weights are hills belong together. As far as the tractor being lighter...I think its good. Its much easier to add weight than it is to remove. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login