Go Bottom

Over-inflated tires - permanent damage

View my Photos
John Zeiter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-23          20793

I just purchased a new John Deere 5105 w/ 521 loader and am very happy with it except for one possible worry. The rear tires show fine cracks between the bars of the R1 tires and down the sidewalls all the way to the rim. The dealership didn't know for sure what caused this, but says they will replace them if I absolutely insist. Turns out, they never de-inflated the tires from the 30psi that Deere shipped them with and it sat for a month in the record Austin, TX. heat. Does anyone think there is permanent damage to the tires since they were overinflated by at least 30psi cold + the heat inflation amount? Should I get these replaced?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
John Zeiter

2000-10-23          20794

A slight correction to my wording at the end of the original message. The book with the tractor says the range of air pressure in the rears is 12-20psi, depending on weight loaded onto the tractor. This tractor had 30psi, which is 50% higher than the maximum John Deere suggests. (I did not want someone to think they were over-inflated by 30psi which would mean they were at 50psi.) ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-23          20796

John, my rear tires are smaller on my Kubota, and the maximum "working" inflation pressure is 16 psi (I'm running 12 psi), but I believe it says to not exceed 35 psi to seat the bead when first putting the tire on the rim. I don't want to tell you what to do, because I cannot say absolutely for sure that you'll never have a problem, but I know if it were me, I just wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you'll ever have a problem. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-13          21467

We often see this problem. I don't believe it was the heat but maybe. The tires once the crack is started will only get larger. Take the dealers option and get them changed. The more wear on the tire allows the tire manufacter more time to get out of a new set. ....

View my Photos
John Zeiter

2000-11-13          21471

Hi all:
This is a slight answer to my own original posting. I asked the dealer to go ahead and replace the tires. They were Firestones and I guess they do not really have a leg to stand on regarding tire problems. They were replaced by new, non-cracked tires to my complete satisfaction. Unfortunately, I didn't think to upgrade size, but with my tractor having MFWD, I do not think the gain would be as noticeable as perhaps with a 2WD tractor.

Thanks to all of you who took time to answer. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-15          21518

Often times the tires on new tractors are not the latest out of the mold. The ties might not be that popular or they might have stayed on the bottom of the stack for a year or two. To move up a size on the rear only with a four wheel drive is taboo. It will cost you tire life as well as drive line life unless it came miss matched from the factory. A normal amount of lead is 2-4% any more or much less is not good. ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2000-11-15          21521

The upgrade rear tires I suggested are offered by John Deere on the 5105 & 5205 FWD units with no change in front tires, thereby not changing any ratio or profile for the 4wd system.

Also now the issue is moot, because the tires have been replaced with same profile tires and the owner is a happy John Deere customer. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login