Go Bottom

Turf tires and or rims for turf tires

View my Photos
Jim Brooks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-30          21963

Hi guys, I have been reading this board for a few months now and its a great source of info. I bought a 96 New Holland 1920 back in august of this year and would like to get a set of turf tires and rims to change off to for the summer. I could get the rims and find the tires locally. Anyway I know the rims from ford/nh are quite pricey and was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket source ?? Or if anyone on the board has a set they would like to sell....thanks Jim.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-30          21981

Jim, if Ford/NH are the same as the other manufacturers who sell Japanese compacts, you will find they 'have us over a barrel' (and I'm not entirely sure their using any Vaseline). What they do is purchase a portion of their rims (or whatever else) from every manufacturer and importer possible, and as a condition of the contract, that manuf. (and all the rest of that manuf.'s dealers) MUST sell the relevant sized rims for NO LESS than MSRP. This way OEM dealers (and their prices) are supported artificially. Case in point, rims for my L4300's are $200 more than the (almost) identical Imperial (as opposed to Metric) Standard size. Me thinks that orange paint is about $10,000 a gallon. Don't believe me, try an example for your self, contact your Manufacturer of choice's Customer Service (isn't that a funny term) Dept. and ask MSRP on a 'Pioneer Male Quick-Disconnect Fitting' tell them you want to connect something to your remote and just want to know the MSRP. Then look at the market price, probably about five bucks. Here in Canada, Kubota says "their part is far superior in quality to those readily available in the market" and so the MSRP is $29.95 even though the part is stamped 'Pioneer', same as all the others....... go 'figger....... ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-12-01          22017

Murf, you're getting cynical in your old age but since I agree with you, maybe we're both OK and the rest of the world just hasn't woken up to the fact yet. The other area where price gouging is rampant is anything to do with swimming pools. I recently replaced a pool cleaner. This plastic "marvel" couldn't have cost more that $80 to manufacture but the price was an unbelievable $550. I wish there was something we could do about inflated prices besides filling in the pool and getting rid of my tractor. The first, my wife won't let me do and the second I won't let her do so I guess it's stalemate and we just have to accept it. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-01          22021

Murf you are tough! In this buisness much of the pricing is difficult to explain but to try to simplify it let me give it a whirl. In our parts dept. we have three major lines we use Case-IH, New Holland and Gehl for bearings. It is not uncommon for the same bearing being priced at $6.00 another manufacturer at $8.50 and a third at $12.75. It just depends on if it is in current use or not. Who can order the most to get the best pricing to begin with. We continually shop for the best prices and often we are beating after-market prices in the discount houses and have even beat the bearing specilty wholesalers if you want to call them that. We have also been given great prices to get our buisness and than the prices go up by 10 or more percent when they don't think we are looking. There are other places to get those rims you just need to find them let me know where you are located and I might be able to help. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-01          22044

Art, as for tough....... I love a free market as much as the next business man, a lover of monopolies I'm not!!! When a manufacturer (regardless of who) tries to levy excessive prices on parts, I want the option of looking elsewhere, if I cant find a better price, so be it. BUT, give me the option!!! As for the rims, I bought 24" adjustable rims in an similar (but different) imperial size then had a local machine shop cut the bolt circle out a make a new one to the metric specification. Savings, $600 on 4 rims.......considering mine were custom made, their's are mass produced, I wonder what the real difference in price was, and where it would have gone......... Hmmmmmmm....... ....

View my Photos
Jim Brooks

2000-12-01          22048

Art, I am in western NY. I haven't gotten any prices on the rims at all yet. I called one of the local dealers for a price amd he said he had another place he got the rims through cheaper and he would have them call me but that was a couple of months ago. I also could go the way Murf went and get some other rims that were the right size and have the bolt pattern altered to fit my tractor. I work in a machine shop so that is one way to go. Anyway if you come up with anything let me know........thanks Jim. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2000-12-04          22110

Jim can you give me some idea as to what the rim sizes are you are looking for. Do you have the tires picked out yet? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2000-12-04          22112

Jim, while I respect Art's opinions (his knowledge is undeniable) and I do not like to "take food off someone's plate" (Art is a dealer and would like to sell you a set of rims & tires) I do not believe that this board should be a means of giving dealers a free advertising medium, if Art wishes to pay the Webmaster I have no objection to reading his banners alongside everyone else's, that is what pays for this board. In my humble opinion this board is (and I believe should be restricted to) private individuals offering each other ideas and advice. While I am probably the farthest from a "typical" compact owner, I never have nor will I ever attempt to solicit business here. In fact I go out of my way to disseminate free advice & information (including cost savings measures) based on my vast experience. Having said (rambled on) that, if you have access to machine shop/welding facilities you can 'make' yourself turf tires very easily (read cheap) using readily available heavy truck tires, especially if they are for a 2wd machine in which case two turf's would cost you about $100 including the rims. If you WANT to buy new ones, by all means, enjoy. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2000-12-04          22115

Murf you are right my apoligies. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login