Go Bottom

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Hillbilly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-25          23685

I looked at my R-4 tires on my JD 4400 and I have 1 1/2" clearance between inside of tires and fender,and 1/2 between inside of tire and brake linkage,if I reversed my wheels I would pick up a little over 1" between the center of the rear wheels,still not very much clearance.I talked to a salesman a local JD dealer and he didnt have a good answer he suggested maybe I went to a machine shop and had some spacers made.I am starting to think about buying R-1 tires and rims,but what hurts worse is I already have wheel weights (6 total) for the rear R-4 wheels and the R-1 wheels take a different wheel weight.Anyone know about how much the new rims (for front and rear would cost)and the tires as well? With a little luck I could get my dealer to trade for the weights and maybe save a little money.If I had the R-1 tires it wouldnt be so hard to find some good chains to fit the tires (if I ever decided to get some, hopefully I wouldnt need any with R-1 tires),because I would have more clearance.I am not interested in ladder chains either.Any suggestions?Thanks Hillbilly

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-01-25          23686

Let us know how you like those screw-in studs that Murf recommended. ....

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-01-25          23687

This is what I would do... (approx. price???) 11.2 X 24 Rears R1 $165. ea., 10 X 24 Stamped metal wheel $150. ea., mounting about $35. ea. and load with calcium choride water mix $40. ea.. Leave the front R4's on as is and try it this way first. I don't think your 4WD ratio will change that much with the R4's on the front and R1 profiles on the rear. It may look a little funny, but we're not going after a beauty contest here. It's a shame you got the R4's... the dealer should have recommended the R1's in your terrain and for what you do. You can go to WWW.MILLERTIRE.COM to better check out tire pricing. Or see if you can swing a deal with a local JD dealer against a trade in. Swap your industrials for his ag's, pay him the labor and some extra to make it worth his while...Good luck! ....

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-01-25          23688

Does anyone know how much additional clearance is obtained by reversing the rear R-4's on a JD4700 to the wide position ?
Based on Hillbilly's concerns, I just tried to install a new set of Dou-Grip style chains, (as opposed to ladder chains).
The result is the chains rub hard on the inside of the fenders.
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Tony ....

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Jeff B

2001-01-26          23695

Hillbilly - One other thing to check is whether the R1s have a larger outer diameter than the R4s. If so, the reduced clearance between the tire and the outer edges of the fender may prevent use of chains also. - Jeff ....

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-26          23696

Anthony,
I do not have my JD 4400 operators manual in front of me,but there is a section in it that has a chart telling of all the possible combinations of different wheels sizes that can be reversed on these JD 4000 series plus the width of the reversals are listed from center of tires to center of tires.My R-4 tires only have two way to be reversed since they are on welded rims,the R-1 tires have more combinations because the rims are not welded in the center but bolted,and thus the centers can be reversed as well as the whole rim.Look in your operators manual under the tire section.If you do not have a manual let me know and I will see if I can help.
Best regards
Hillbilly

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2001-01-26          23697

To Jeff B.
I hear what you are saying and good point as well,I have everything to gain by going to the R-1 tires despite whether I can or cannot get chains on them ,fact being improved traction in the tire alone,Ihave to take the wife to town today and I will try to stop at the local JD dealer and compare and I will post my results.
Best regards
Hillbilly ....

R-4 and tire chains

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-01-26          23710

Hillbilly,
Thanks for the input. My manual states that I can adjust the rear tread width from 51 inches to 75 inches. Therefore, I should be able to get the chains to fit. The rims on the 4500/4600/4700 are bolted not welded.
Tony ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login