Go Bottom

Does anyone have any experience with oversize turf tires

View my Photos
Paul Finn (Bass and
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-24          30334

I have a Kubota B2910 and commercial mow and landscape with it. I have a FEL and use it to move rocks and boulders as well as mulch, trees etc. I also aerate yards with it. I have been looking in my Turf magizines and they show McCord floatation turf tires. They look to be oversize turf tires and would be great for residential mowing and landscaping. Does anyone have any experience for these types of tires. How puncture resistant are they?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-07-25          30347

I guess you have any wheel and clearance issues in hand. No experience myself, but I've heard that with those tires, you could run over your foot and barely notice it--probably not literally of course. But, I would wonder about traction. There would be more ground contact, but also less weight per sq. inch. Don't know how the trade-off works out. ....

View my Photos
mlmartin

2001-07-25          30356

I have B. F. Goodrich oversized turfs on my JD 870. I'm not at home, so I can't give you the tire size. They are over 12 inches wide and have an alternating chevron tread pattern. They are on rims mounted to the maximum width. That gives me a rear tread width of ~64 inches while giving me 3 inches or so between the tire and the fender for chains.
--
They have worked out well for me so far. They are not the best traction in mud and I expect that I'll need chains in the winter. They hardly mark the turf in tight turns.
--
Matthew (who won't be running over his foot to see if it hurts:-) ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-25          30364

Paul, we use these tires in commercial duty every day (golf course construction & maintenance) and so know a bit about them. The first thing I must point out to you is that these are EXTREMELY specialized tires, NOT for general purpose use, because of their size (and therefore ground bearing surface) and tread (or lack thereof) pattern they have very reduced traction compared even to a traditional turf tire. Now I'm not talking "spins a bit digging with the loader" here, I mean if there is still dew on the grass you spin going upwind on a breezy morning..... And if that doesn't bother you, well then go ahead and price out a set, I think you will find a full set, including the required custom-made rims to put them on will cost about the same as you paid to BUY your Kubota, and I'm not joking here, my last set set was $22,000..... As far as puncture resistant, tires that expensive don't even go near someone with a pointed sense of humour, let alone something that might rip a tire.... Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login