Go Bottom

Turning the front rims around to get a wider stance

View my Photos
Randy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-23          31242

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good reason why the front rims can (should)not be turned around to give the tractor a wider stance. JD has made it so you can not turn the rims without a modification to the tractor.There is a small tab that will hit the rim when the lug bolts are tightened if turned around. These small tabs could be ground off, why would JD not want you to have the wider stance, would it not make the tractor more stable.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-23          31244

Your steering geometry would change slightly as would the speed of the inside and outside front tires when turning. I don't know if it would be enough to have an effect on anything though and the ratio should stay the same between the two wheels, since you are moving them both out. I have heard of Kubota owners turning theirs around, don't know of any negative results. ....

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2001-08-23          31245

I turned the front wheels on my JD 4700 to the wide position with no problems.
Tony, ....

View my Photos
Farmer Giles

2001-08-23          31246

On my New Holland TC33D it's a NO NO to turn the front wheels the other way because of the stress on the front differential when in four wheel drive. I wouldn't think it would be any different on another model. ....

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2001-08-23          31248

This will add a little stress to the spindles and bearings. If you don't have an FEL, there shouldn't be a problem. If you have an FEL, operate it smoothly, and are cognizant of the considerable stress that a loader imposes on the front end, you'll probably still get away with it- others have. I think just about all FEL-equiped tractors have had their front ends slammed down once or twice, and reversed rims will make it a little worse. -Stan ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-08-23          31249

Randy, which JD model do you have? My 4400, manufactured in March 2000, allows the front and rear wheels to be reversed and describes it in the owner's manual. I presently have both the front and rear wheels reversed for a wider track. The dealer set the rear ones up when they installed the backhoe and I did the fronts this spring. ....

View my Photos
Randy

2001-08-24          31267

My first post I should have given more info. my tractor is a JD 870 4wd with a FEL is the front end different from the 4000 .Thank you for the replys so far ....

View my Photos
jpaulus in W Wisc

2002-02-23          35836

I've had a 755, 955, 1070, and now a 4700. turned the rims on front and back on all of these tractors. couldn't have used them on the sidehills that comprise my land without having the wider stance. never had a problem, except that a midmount mower can't be used 'cause the gauge wheels interfere with the front tires.
jim ....

View my Photos
SOB1

2002-02-24          35844

I also have a NH TC33d w/a FEL and the dealer said that it wouldn't be a problem turning the front or back wheels inside out...I never realized what a narrow stance these compact tractors have in relationship to my ole 39 9N. Will I gain a considerable distance by swapping them or is it a waste of time and effort??
Thanks... ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-25          35854

My attitude is that if there are problems anticipated with operations on side hills, then every little bit helps. Solving stability problems with ballast is another approach as well as keep using the 9N if it's still around. I hear that few things are better than the old N's on side hills.

I think a way to get an idea of how much stance would be gained by reversing the wheels is to take twice the difference between the inside rim to the wheel and the outside rim to the wheel. There should be a greater distance from the wheel to the rim on the inside than the outside of the wheel, or reversing the wheels wouldn't affect the stance.

There was a comment here awhile back from somebody who said that reversing the front wheels would change the steering geometry. I'm not sure if the problem was supposed to be more wear and tear on the front end, greater tire scuffing or what. Other people said they had run reversed front wheels with no problems. It is something to think about though.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login