Go Bottom

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
R Donahue
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-04          31569

Got a flat this weekend on the front 14-7 R1tire of my J/D 790. Gas station said it was on the sidewall so there was nothing they could do. Found another place that said he'd just throw a tube in it (it's tubeless). Anybody see a problem with that? It'll cost me about $25 vs $100 for a new tire. They guy also said if I continued to have lots of flats he could fill the front tires with foam and I'd NEVER have a flat. Sounds like it would probably give a rough ride. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but wanted to see what people thought about this. Thanks.--Rick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-09-04          31574

I've repaired a lot of tires in a lot of different ways, but there's really just no way I could give you a good answer without seeing something like that. Sidewalls flex a lot on tires, so patches, plugs, etc. often will not last, but if it's just simply a puncture, not broken cords, then I'd probably patch it on the inside and put a tube in it. And even with some broken cords, that can work for awile, but possibly not as long as you'd like. ....

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-09-04          31575

Bird Senter is correct the a tube and patch will last patch the situation. They will last a number of years before they will need replacing. The foam is ok as long as you do not have to replace the tires or increase the air pressure. The tires are ~40-70 $ but the rims are more than $70 on the JD. The tire will be difficult to cut off.
Peters ....

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-09-06          31624

If the cut is in the sidewall and it's not too big, it can be fixed by gluing a ribber "boot" over the cut on the inside of the tire and using a tube. I usually have them put in a tube whenever I get my first flat. It means you can still get air in the tire even if it is off the rim. I looked into foam filled tires a while back and I can't remember what the cost was but it was expensive and the dealer said it would make the tractor extremely rough riding and while he could have it done, he didn't really recommend it for ag machines. He did it mainly for construction machinery that couldn't afford any down time. ....

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
glennmac

2001-09-07          31643

Arnco licenses tire dealers on its patented foam fill processes. There are foam fills of three different durometers (hardness densities). The softest fill is called SuperFlex. Arnco claims it has vertical deflection characteristics almost the same as an air-filled tire. It permanently prevents flats, adds more weight than CaCl, permanently keeps the tire at the proper air pressure (ie, whatever pressure was put in prior to curing), and supposedly extends the life of the tire from three to five times. I have gotten prices ranging from $.99 to $1.25 per pound. Hence, very expensive. Attached is link to the Arnco website. ....

Link:   Arnco website

foam-filled tires

View my Photos
R Donahue

2001-09-07          31650

Had the patch and innertube put in for $26. The estimate for the foam was about
the same - ~$1/lb. The guy estimated that it would take about 60-80 lbs. That
puts the cost of the foam about the same as the cost of a new tire. I think I'll
stick with patches and innertubes for now. You mentioned that the foam would
increase the life of the tire by a factor of 3-5. How does that work? Maybe you
ride on the foam after you wear through the treads ;-} Sorry. Thanks again for
all the good info.

--Rick ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login