Go Bottom

quot Rim Guard quot for filling tires

View my Photos
bill darbyshire
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-08          31686

Well, I haven't seen a post on this subject for a while Glen Daly of the Lansing, MI area has developed and patented "Rim Guard", a non-corrosive liquid made from beet pulp with polymer additives. 10 to 11 lbs/gallon or more, non-corrosive and not harmful to the environment. I'm putting some in my new Case-IH DX40 that's being delivered next week... each week more and more dealers are becoming aware and those who used it so far tell me their customers are very happy. Glen is at (517) 351-6470. Farm Bureau Co-op south of Lansing has it, (517) 543-1160. Check out also a blurb on MSU Extension web site. And no, I'm not involved and don't get anything from this... "jes' tryin' to pass the word for anyone who's interested."

Link:   "Value-Added Ventures" from Michigan State University Extens

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-09-09          31693

Sounds pretty good. Beat pulp is a principal ingredient in some commercial dog foods, so the product at least doesn't start out having environmental and accompanying disposal problems. Don't know, but maybe the polymer makes it unappealing to dogs and also so it doesn't ferment. On the other hand, regular anti-freeze is appealing to dogs and also poisons them, so beet-pulp fill sounds like a good improvement. ....

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-09-10          31729

When I asked my dealer in Vermont about Rim Guard, he checked with his tire guys and came back with the following: We can't use Rim Guard for insurance purposes. It has alcohol in it to give it protection from freezing, which can separate and become an explosive mixture... very dangerous for the guys who change or repair the tires. Is this a load of BS, or is it a valid concern? Does Rim Guard even have alcohol in it? (BTW... they gave the same answer when I asked about using windshield washer fluid, which I've heard a lot of people are using as a cheap tire fill). ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-09-10          31730

Beet pulp .... what will they think of next? I often wonder who comes up with these ideas and what kind of mind it takes to think of them. Human ingenuity never fails to amaze me. Perhaps there is hope for the future. Now if someone could come up with some way of holding my aging body together for another 20 or 30 years so I can enjoy my tractor a bit longer I'd be very grateful. ....

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-09-10          31740

Well, I just got off the phone with the inventor and patent-holder of Rimm Guard. There is no alcohol in it. Nothing hazardous for anyone handling it or repairing tires, non-flammable. In fact, he has an animal food-grade certification on the product (so you don't kill Fido or any livestock when you spring a leak). Sounds like a winner. The only real warning he had about it is that it should NOT be mixed with Calcium Chloride. If you are replacing the chloride fill in th etires, they should be rinsed out first.

He's sending me a couple of brochures on it, and I'll be leaning on my NH dealer to start offering it as an option.

John

View my Photos
bill darbyshire

2001-09-15          31830

to Frank R Taylor, re. stopping the aging process: I've been wondering the same thing! I wonder if some beet pulp mixed with a little Elmer's glue might help us... perhaps a little garlic and butter sauce added? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login