Go Bottom

R4 tires use

View my Photos
KC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-11          3706

I am looking at a new tractor JD 4300 to 4500. I am looking at R4 tires. Are they good tires for turf, dirt work and snow work or wood turf tires work better. I plan on mowing, loader and rear blade work and snow removal.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R4 tires use

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-12          3727

I went through the same decision, and I heard both sides. Some say that the turf tires do just fine for loader work, and with 4WD get through the mud ok. The other people I talked to (including the dealers) said that R4's are the way to go for multiple jobs. They said the turfs will never make it through the snow, just spin. I suppose you could put chains on, but I decided to chance it and go with the R4s. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-05-12          3728

The JD dealer I have been working with has a 4100 for his own lawn. He feltthe front R4s Ind marked the lawn more than he liked, but wanted the ruggednessthe R4s offer for loader/dirt work. So he tried a set of front turfs from a 4100he had in stock, and said that combo is the way to go. This allows you the bestof both worlds. By the way, he gave me a price of $270 for 2 front turf tires/rims.I think I can talk him into throwing them in with the sale of the tractor. I don't know how close anyone else has looked at the front rims, but I seem to think the R4 rims/tiresare thicker or more heavy duty than the turf tires/rims. Maybe its just my imagination, but somethingto consider when looking at using a loader. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
Dennis

1999-05-12          3729

At almost $300 it seems that you might just as well keep the R4's for now. The R4's are always an upgrade from Turfs which are cheaper. If you don't like them I don't think it would cost that much to buy another pair of Turfs and then you'd have both.The different tread patterns of running a mixed set of tires will clearly give you different front to rear friction, other than mowing the lawn this is a bad thing. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3730

Actually that's wrong since the r4 and turf front tires on the 4100 are the exact same size with the exact same rim size there would be no "different front to rear friction".Turf tires are in general more expensive than r4 by about 15% ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
Mike

1999-05-12          3732

The NH/'bota dealer I was at said you could not mix Ind. in back and turfs in front because it would throw off the four wheel drive. Is this something to consider, or are there certain situations when you can? ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3733

In terms of Friction differences, I was thinking of the tread pattern not the size. The R4 has more bite but less contact area, so if you do alot of riding on pavement at top speed a turf tire would stop better in hard braking situation, in the same situation a mix of tires front to rear will result in a tendency for the R4 rear to come around under braking.Turf Tires on the front with R4 rears in the mud will perform like a bald tire being pushed by the high bite Rear R4s causing tthe front end to lose directional control, particularly on slopes. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3734

Has anyone tried using turfs for mowing and swapping out just the fronts for R4's or Ag's for loader work? Thinking is that you'll get good bite on the front with the loader weight, and can easily change front tires based on use, by using the loader to lift the front end. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3735

I just worked through the same decision process and elected to go with R4 tires on my 4300. Once I get the heavy work done with a new house and barn I may be able to go to turf tires in the future but didn't want to chance it as I get started. Dave ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
paul

1999-05-12          3737

On the big farm tractors it is very very bad to mix tires. The fronts should have a couple % more bite than the rear tires, or you will take out a driveline component in a big big hurry.I imagine the lighter compacts are a bit more forgiving, but for hard use like a bucket you are stressing the front axle enough, I certainly would not ever mix & match tires. You are adding a great deal of extra stress. The gearing of all this requires more perfection than you seem to realize.Ag tires are good for mud, turf tires are good for saving sod, R4's are a good compromise when you need to do both.--->Paul ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-05-13          3790

Sorry Guys,I forgot to mention that I would only be using the R4s/Turfs in 2wd for mowing lawn. Then switch the fronts back to the R4s for 4wd use. I only need 4wd for snow or loader work requiring 4wd. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3808

I have a 4100 with the R4's. I mow the lawn with it and have had no real problems. I just try to avoid the lawn the day after rain, but that is because of all the clay I have and turfs would leave tracks in that when it is wet! If you are going with a 4200 or 4300 you will have a greater weight to deal with. ....

R4 tires use

View my Photos
Joe

1999-05-20          4111

TEST ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login