Go Bottom

Tested a set of R4 IND tires on fine sod grass but needs advise

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-17          3923

Demo'ed the dealers personal JD 4100 w/R4s this weekend. Learned a few thing.1. Turf damage will vary among the different compacts. A tractor with a larger turning radius, like the Kubota B1700,2100,2400 series yielded equal or less damage with R1s(Ag) than a unit like the JD 4100,or a Honda 6522 with R4 Industrials. (all models tested in 2wd). Thus,Kubota's turning radius would yield less turf damage with R4s than other models. I would assume all models would do unacceptable damage on fine turf in 4WD. The JD 4100 was the only unit I put in 4wd on the lawn, and definitely created tread marks while turning. 2. If you are careful, You can get by with the R4s on a sod type lawn in 2WD. (Location:Eastern,PA). You may see slight tread marks for a few hours after mowing, especially if the grass is a little wet. But they disappeared, looking like any lawn after being mowed with a riding mower. Steering fully turned, the 4100's FRONTS will leave slight tread marks in the turf, You won't be replacing divots, but you will see tread marks. I have asked various dealers/people about placing a set of front turf tires/rims for mowing. Almost no one has recommend doing that on a 4WD because of being different tires. But I showed the dealer this weekend that the front R4s & Turfs were the exact same size! I haven't taken physical diameter measurements, but one would assume 2 tires containing the same size marking would be close enough in size to be swapped. I decided to purchase the 4100 with R4s & a set of front turf tires/rims anyway, because I will never be mowing in 4WD. But I would like to hear a little feedback from all of you. 3. The JD dealer brought his own personal 4100 to my house for Demo, because he had none in stock. Any dealer can tell you a certain tractor is the best,cause of the commission check he'll get from selling one. But this dealer spent his own hard earned money to buy a 4100 and has personal experience using one. The dealer is also ordering the tractor, per my specs on a hand shake. That never happens anymore, at least in the shark...I mean lawyer infested waters of the North East. By the way, the wife went from telling me I'm crazy to want a tractor like this, to...We'll be fighting over who mowes with the 4100,and who gets stuck with the old/tired 12hp Allis lawn mower. I'm sure you guys know who will be using the Allis!...ME!Purchased the JD 4100 HST with a 410 loader/grill guard, 54" belly mower, 2 rear work lights, front set of turf tires/rims, block heater...for $16,000. Is this a good deal?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Brent Pepper

1999-05-17          3926

I have been reading all these discussions on turf vs ag vs R4's and decided togive my personal experience. I have mowed my yard with a Deutz Allis 5220 2WD with turf tires when I probably should have waited a few more hours and the front tires pushed up some grass. When I cut my grass when the ground is nice and dry I can run my tractor Hinomoto E2304 (Identical to the D-A 5220 except 4WD) andit leaves no marks at all. I had a John Deere 855 with R-4s, no marks. My 2304 has a front end loader and I run it across the yard in 4WD with a full loader bucket and it doesn't leave any marks. When I get a new tractor I plan on going with R-4's just from the standpoint of durability because I do some landscaping andR4's are tougher. I really think you give up alot of ability when you go with turf tires. I had a Bolens 19hp, about the size of the JD 4100 and that tractorjust wouldn't cut it when I really needed it. Things like pulling a landscape boxor pulling a cut tree out of the woods. If your lawn is really delicate, swaping the front tires out to prevent damage is a good idea, but I think you will really get tired of doing it if you are like me and have to mow once a week and use yourtractor for other things between cuttings. Brentdamage to your yard ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-05-17          3935

My message was cut off.The wife went from: Your crazy to want a tractor like that.. To.. We'll be fighting over who uses the 4100 to mow and who mows with the old/tired Allis 12hpI guess I still be mowing with the old AllisBy the way purchases the 4100 HST (w/R4s) ,410 loader,54"mower,Block heater, Ballast box,2 rear work lights,extra set of front turf tires/rims for $16,000. Is that a good deal? ....

View my Photos
Jay

1999-05-17          3943

MLS, I can't comment on much but the price you were quoted for the 4100. I just got a quote yesterday from the jd dealer here in Fishers, IN for a 4200 HST w/420 loader, mid mower and turf tires. He said it listed for 23,330 and would sell it for 21K. I don't know how much less a conventional tranny is, but I do think that the 4100 should be about a grand less for the basic tractor. Seems like 16 is a fair price. Do people still do business with a hand shake? I think I better move east. ....

View my Photos
Greg

1999-05-18          3967

No question, damm good deal on the price. Very thorough analysis on the tires, there will always remain a gray area on what some people call turf damage and others say, ah thats OK. Can't help but feel that turf quality and underlying soil condition is the primary variable that will determine what you see. In my case, the soil is terribly hard packed so tire damage is minimal in 4wd and none in 2wd. I believe the combo of R4 rear and turf front is a great idea and it should work for you. ....

View my Photos
cdf

1999-05-18          3984

Using r-4s with my 4100 - no damge to yard - 3 acres, used to be a pasture, hard packed high and dry. Your price is awesome, mine was 17,400 - Good luck ....

View my Photos

1999-05-18          3985

Amazing but true - some people do still do business with a handshake. We ordered a JD4100 in April (on a handshake) and were given a 4 week delivery. 2 weeks later dealer called to say he still didn't receive a delivery date from factory & was afraid he wouldn't make our promised delivery date! By the end of 4 weeks still no delivery date, but he found a unit for me. One week after delivery, he called out of the blue to see how it was working. I guess that's how his family has kept the business going for 50 years... ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login